Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Up to Finnland!

Thumbs up Up to Finnland!

Hi All!
    My friend Heini and me got back from another fantastic swap hunt with our lads from Finnland.
    Sorry to our hosts Sakari, Aki and Timo for my late post about it, but after being away for several hunts the last weeks, it was bloody much work left to do the last week....

OK, after having Aki and Sakari over here for some hunts in November 2011, this time it was our turn for a return swap hunt. Usually our english lads Wayne and Andy should be with us, but because of family reasons, it didnt work out...

We flew in from DŁsseldorf to Tampere, via Helsinki, and got picked up by Aki and Sakari.
    A short drive later we arrived at the local shooting range, where we almost immediately started trying their guns and fired a few rounds on the standing and running moose...
    Attachment 34051

Also we didnt do "perfect", it seemed to be enough for getting out on the real hunt!

Then off to Sakaris lovely home, checkin in our bedroom for the next couple of days, meeting his lovely family and the first beer... Preparing for a great dinner afterwards...

There we met Timo, another lad from the local hunting club, who would also join us during the next days.
    We learned quick enough, always powered by another good drink, about the hunting plans for the next couple of days:

Getting out on (mainly) highseats about minimum 1 hour before sunrise (why the hell, its f... dark...?) or before sunset and wait for the expected whitetails to show up...
    There were restrictions on the number and size of stags to shoot, so we learned the rules about it.

A few more beers later, time to sleep, and time to get up, much too early again...

I got placed on a large meadow, right on the lake shore, lovely place, Sakari texted me about one deer already bedded down on the field, but when it got daylight, there was nothing to see left...

It went like this the next days, our hosts tried their best to make every day a special day: We went fishing, clay pigeon shooting, enjoyed the finnish sauna, some more beer of course, visited the local hunting store... A very strong shedule, perfect, mates!!

Of course, we also continued hunting...

It was Heini getting the first whitetail calf:
    Attachment 34052

A few more beers (you know already...) later and the next afternoon, it was Heini again, this time a spiker:
    Attachment 34053
    On Thursday afternoon we had a little driven hunt, very exciting, I had a six-pointer passing by very closed, too bad, it wasnt on the menu...
    The weather changed during that day, winter came in rapidly:
    Attachment 34055
    All the efforts from our Finnish friends didnt work out that day, we drew a blank, but still had a funtastic time being out there!

This last evening I was ordered to another highseat in this area, where there should be a lot of activity... I settled in early again, saw a lot of fresh tracks in the fresh snow and sure enough, a group of 4 whitetails showed up!
    Attachment 34054
    I decided to take the smallest calf out of this group and after an obviously endless moment I was able to get a clear shot on it!

So happy campers again, me finally bagging my first whitetail!

You may believe, the evening celebration went the same way as some evenings before, so everybody was quite happy to find the way to bed finally...

After all, a superb trip, some extraordinary hospitality, very keen and good hunters, a very elegant deer species and a lot of fun sharing the moments of hunting together!!

​So guys, Thanks again, we had a funtastic time, hope to see you in Germany next season again!!
    Last edited by Wildboar1973; 28-10-2013 at 16:44.
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Well done on the first whitetail pal, and also the other local things you 'sampled'
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Nice one mate glad you guy's had fun with Aki and Sakari especially "Heini the whitetail slayer"

Sorry I had to cancel, hopefully next year, be good to catch up with them again did you take any schnapps I now how much Aki loves it

Cant remember mate....
    Maybe a few Whiskey....?
    You should ask Heini about some Details, especially his evening on the campfire and some Schnaps...Attachment 34056

Quote Originally Posted by Wildboar1973 View Post
    Cant remember mate....
    Maybe a few Whiskey....?

You should ask Heini about some Details, especially his evening on the campfire and some Schnaps...Attachment 34056

Ha Ha not sober and responsible like us then

Very enjoyable write up Michael,

Thanks
    Glendine.

See you tomorrow, Glendine!

I recognise that fireplace and those dodgy looking Finns! Did Sakari produce a dubious parcel of cooked meat from the depths of the firepit? It was about -10 the last time I was sitting there and we were celebrating nine whitetail bucks in two days of hunting.

I'm off hind stalking and rough shooting with all three of them in Scotland in a couple of weeks - which will be fine as long as I'm not picking up the bar bill, as those boys can drink!

​Adam.

Nice write up Michael , hope to catch up soon !

Thanks Guys!

Adam, now I know, why they cut down the numbers of bucks... You got them all!
    Of course we got the firepit cocked meat, those guys were ill for days...
    I think, they were really happy after we left, some time to recover, before invading Scotland!
    Good luck with them, good boys, great fun and company!