Advice needed, Red skull attachment to shield

Devon County Shooter

photo1_zpsa32f3d74.jpg

After this skull has been whitened I will be looking to mount his on a shield, however i'm not to sure on the methods used. I was thinking of a strong glue but due to the weight this is a non starter! Can someone point me in the right direction or share your experiences?

Also I'm looking for a large shield to accommodate this that is real wood and not laminate?

Regards

Carl.

Try these sheilds......., as for fixing, screws without doubt with that kind of weight, being discreet with them and making them count is the hard bit! Depending on whether you cut the skull at all will vary the options for fixing, if you are planning on leaving it whole, you can do worse than using metal butterfly cavity wall/plasterboard fixings as these open up in the brain cavity and hold it well.

JHT Supplies for Taxidermists and Taxidermy | Red Deer Skull Shield 11 1/4" x 17 1/2" | 706

after cutting (Full Skull Mount) the hole in the brain cavity should be big enough to fit a small square peice of wood in it, push some news paper into the cavity and fill with car body filler, the news paper is to limit the amount of filler needed, then insert the wood into the body filler, leaving the wood flush with the cut, fill in the gaps and leave to set, half way down the skull (underside)drill a hole and put in a wall plug, if plug is not tight enough put some body filler around the plug with a small modelling tool. when dry about 10 mins put a screw into the wood and the plug and screw in slightly cut the screw head off with grider at an angle or so it is pointed leaving 8 to 10mm of thread sticking out.place on sheild in desired place and press on skull so you make two small marks on sheild where holes for new screws are to be located, remove the screws you cut with mole grips. drill holes in sheild and counter sink. then simply put screws through the holes and locate the screw holes that were made by the screws you took out and tighten them up.
Job Done 15 mins including drying time

Check out "Bushwear" catalogue Carl. They have a Red Deer Fixing (code 351304) @ £3.99 each. I have used a few of these and find them good and easy to use. The only down side is that you would have to pay postage on top. Gaz

Check out "Bushwear" catalogue Carl. They have a Red Deer Fixing (code 351304) @ £3.99 each. I have used a few of these and find them good and easy to use. The only down side is that you would have to pay postage on top. Gaz

Do you find these work........? I've bought the same thing but from stalkers uk and it's the most crap thing ever, if anyone wants one for free I have at least one, if not two that I most definitely won't be using!

Do you find these work........? I've bought the same thing but from stalkers uk and it's the most crap thing ever, if anyone wants one for free I have at least one, if not two that I most definitely won't be using!
I've not had a problem with them, but yes have had to adjust a few minor things. You may have to play about with the angle of the hole you drill through the shield as I found that to drill it straight does not work. I have also had to cut the length of thread on others. Not tried the Roe sized one.

Would you trust that stuff to hold a mature Red head up bearing in mind the lack of surface area to?

I wouldn't want to walk under it! Just mounted this one ironically managing to make use of the bracket I slated earlier, however, I still don't like them! But it is solid, even so, until I get use to it being there, I keep an eye on it when walking under it!

View attachment 34148

Deerstalker.308
I'm looking for another supplier now, do you know if this companies shields are 100% oak?
Regards

​Carl.
Try these sheilds......., as for fixing, screws without doubt with that kind of weight, being discreet with them and making them count is the hard bit! Depending on whether you cut the skull at all will vary the options for fixing, if you are planning on leaving it whole, you can do worse than using metal butterfly cavity wall/plasterboard fixings as these open up in the brain cavity and hold it well.

JHT Supplies for Taxidermists and Taxidermy | Red Deer Skull Shield 11 1/4" x 17 1/2" | 706

Don't no if your still having problems mounting your skull to a shield? The best way I have found is to drill a pair of 20mm holes at the back of the skull fill the entire skull cavity with car body filler I use a large syringe once you have filled it push a pair of threaded rods down through the holes that you have drilled let it dry then trim the rods to length and fix to your shield solid as a rock hope this helps.

Deerstalker.308
I'm looking for another supplier now, do you know if this companies shields are 100% oak?
Regards

​Carl.

no problem guys!
Just send me a pm...
Finally on the fair in Dortmund we get all kinds of these for good and reasonable prices!!

after cutting (Full Skull Mount) the hole in the brain cavity should be big enough to fit a small square peice of wood in it, push some news paper into the cavity and fill with car body filler, the news paper is to limit the amount of filler needed, then insert the wood into the body filler, leaving the wood flush with the cut, fill in the gaps and leave to set, half way down the skull (underside)drill a hole and put in a wall plug, if plug is not tight enough put some body filler around the plug with a small modelling tool. when dry about 10 mins put a screw into the wood and the plug and screw in slightly cut the screw head off with grider at an angle or so it is pointed leaving 8 to 10mm of thread sticking out.place on sheild in desired place and press on skull so you make two small marks on sheild where holes for new screws are to be located, remove the screws you cut with mole grips. drill holes in sheild and counter sink. then simply put screws through the holes and locate the screw holes that were made by the screws you took out and tighten them up.
Job Done 15 mins including drying time

+1

James, I had a message from Sam last week, 1 day before delivery informing me that due to serious illness he was closing down his operations, have you heard the same? Will have to find someone else who crafts the shields in 100% Oak.

I'm going to be reopening as of 01/01/14 sorry for any inconvenience caused. shooter79 if you still after a shield please let me know and I will get one sorted for you over Christmas I have seemed to have lost your phone number. Thanks Sam

Back