Bedding

Malxwal

Having bought a wooden stock to replace my synthetic one, what would be a reasonable estimate to get it bedded ? The replacement stock came off the same action as my own, (Sako action III).

Only one way to find out ............................................... ask them!

Yes , I will. Seing as the time of the original post was in the middle of the evening, it wasn't an opportune moment to call, I was just enquiring on here if anybody had an idea of costs to hand.
Thanks for your help.

Yes , I will. Seing as the time of the original post was in the middle of the evening, it wasn't an opportune moment to call, I was just enquiring on here if anybody had an idea of costs to hand.
Thanks for your help.

glass and pillar bed £200 max if it's a VERY good job.

personally I think it should be no more than £100, but that's just me ;) I also happen to do all my own rifles of course, so I'm biased!

where are you located?

glass and pillar bed £200 max if it's a VERY good job.

personally I think it should be no more than £100, but that's just me ;) I also happen to do all my own rifles of course, so I'm biased!

where are you located?

A very good job? As in it works like it's meant to...or as in it looks pretty and works? :D

Suggest that you will spend between 150 - 400 depending who you choose to do the work.

It also depends on what rifle is being bedded as some are more difficult than others.

Someone with proven record is preferable in my view.

Thanks folks. Located in Aberdeenshire, rifle is a Sako 75 action III. The stock came off a 75 action III, so shouldn't require too much work, or am I ill informed ?
The obvious known local names are as I mentioned, Russell Gall and Callum Ferguson, with Eric Burnett also, although I'm not sure of his expertise with rifles.

Thanks folks. Located in Aberdeenshire, rifle is a Sako 75 action III. The stock came off a 75 action III, so shouldn't require too much work, or am I ill informed ?
The obvious known local names are as I mentioned, Russell Gall and Callum Ferguson, with Eric Burnett also, although I'm not sure of his expertise with rifles.

Erice knows his fair share about rifles too. Id trust him with it. Makes good job of the things ive seen hes made. He now works at buchan guns in rora tho. Check them out they have a website. Buchan Guns - Home doesnt tell u prices but will give u a contact number.

Last edited:
Erice knows his fair share about rifles too. Id trust him with it. Makes good job of the things ive seen hes made. He now works at buchan guns in rora tho. Check them out they have a website. Buchan Guns - Home doesnt tell u prices but will give u a contact number.

Cheers Pablo, always had the shotguns wi Eric, crackin guy and excellent work. Nae sure how he gets anything done though, he likes a blether!
I'm wondering if Russell Gall would be too busy howking tatties just now anyway.
I'll give them all a call and see how they're fixed.

Cheers Pablo, always had the shotguns wi Eric, crackin guy and excellent work. Nae sure how he gets anything done though, he likes a blether!
I'm wondering if Russell Gall would be too busy howking tatties just now anyway.
I'll give them all a call and see how they're fixed.

Yeah i tryed calling russel a few times last few weeks too see bout powder but no answer so cud be right with the howking tatties thing. Erics easy enough to get hold of. Was down this week looking for cartridges and had a chat with him. Hes defo good with rifles, fixed my steyr when had a bolt problem and had barrel off and back on too get into action and gun cone bck and shoots how it did before he tinkered with it. I wud like too say bedding job is £240 if im remembering correctly but....... I cud easily b making those numbers up haha.

Yeah i tryed calling russel a few times last few weeks too see bout powder but no answer so cud be right with the howking tatties thing. Erics easy enough to get hold of. Was down this week looking for cartridges and had a chat with him. Hes defo good with rifles, fixed my steyr when had a bolt problem and had barrel off and back on too get into action and gun cone bck and shoots how it did before he tinkered with it. I wud like too say bedding job is £240 if im remembering correctly but....... I cud easily b making those numbers up haha.

I reckon if it was Eric pricing the job it would be half the price, I'll say no more.

Guys, that's a hell of a price for a bedding job ... A couple of my shooting
buddies have had bedding jobs done on a variety of different rigs and it has
been closer to half that price.

Guys, that's a hell of a price for a bedding job ... A couple of my shooting
buddies have had bedding jobs done on a variety of different rigs and it has
been closer to half that price.

As of yet I've no idea, I'll report back once I've called about, but see my last comment as regards prices, I wish Eric still worked for himself.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry but as I found out all by myself that different "smiths" charge wildly differing prices speaking to them is THE ONLY WAY some seem to think that they are using pure platinum dust in their compounds.

I also found that not many seem to be able to do a proper job IMHO as the job I was wanting done is to repair the bedding in an old P-H 1200, over the years the wood has compressed just sightly and probably from some well meaning previous owner over tightening the stock screws, and I want it done as it was at the factory with a fore tip pressure point. More of a restoration I suppose.

Actually finding one that said yes they could do this instead of telling me that it must be "Free Floated" proved much more difficult than one can imagine. One I spoke to just could not seem to comprehend just what a fore tip pressure point was and claimed that raised pad was just something that the factory forgot to remove and was left for the machining/production process of the stock :banghead: .

Some one that is doing it for a living the job should not only be very tidy looking but should also perform well. I have seen some cracking looking bedding jobs in photos on these very forums :D .

Malxal.
can I ask why you think the inlet will need bedding right of the bat?
Is the inlet bottom that bad?

Malxal.
can I ask why you think the inlet will need bedding right of the bat?
Is the inlet bottom that bad?
Firstly, thanks for that Brit, appreciate your coming back with that info.
Sim, I thought that having bought a stock from the identical action, and what appears to be in a very good condition , that the work required, if any, would be minimal. But I would prefer to have an expert check it over and do whatever was required. Just good to be prepared for the worst case scenario financially.

Last edited:
Firstly, thanks for that Brit, appreciate your coming back with that info.
Sim, I thought that having bought a stock from the identical action, and what appears to be in a very good condition , that the work required, if any, would be minimal. But I would prefer to have an expert do whatvever was required. Just good to be prepared for the woprst case scenario financially.

tbh, the sako inletting is so good, chances are you can clover leaf without any bedding ever being needed. In fact, factory sako inletting is better than the bedding jobs 'some' turn out at remarkably high prices:stir:

tbh, the sako inletting is so good, chances are you can clover leaf without any bedding ever being needed. In fact, factory sako inletting is better than the bedding jobs 'some' turn out at remarkably high prices:stir:

Well, that would be a welcome bonus, less spent on guns means more spent on shooting !

Back