annealing brass

Ted47

Evening all, who on here anneals their cases, what method is the best, how often should you anneal?

Leon

I anneal my 6br and 6.5x284 cases after every five reloads - I use a homemade machine.

There was a thread on this not so long ago!
See linky.
Annealing your brass - Page 2

The standard SD toys got chucked out of the pram. But 50% of the thread will actuly help!

I must say it has lead me to making a induction loop to anneal my de rimmed 22lr cases prior to swaging.
But getting any time to swage is just not on the cards!
Shame as that was one part of the reloading process, I really enjoyed a LOT!

Give annealing a try. It can be as simple as you make it. Like all things in reloading!

Any tips on how to spot if and when the brass needs annealing?
Cheers Leon

As some have mentioned neck splitting is about the most drastic one. I tend to bin cases before it gets to this though as i made a little hook up which is used to feel for the crater ring at the web/wall junction and this is where the case will separate eventually. Some cases seem to show this faster than others. Some cartridges are "supposed" to be worse for this than others too.

I must say it has lead me to making a induction loop to anneal my de rimmed 22lr cases prior to swaging.

Simjim Which circuit are you using to drive your induction coil?
I've built one as per http://www.rmcybernetics.com/projects/DIY_Devices/diy-induction-heater.htm - It works well especially on steel workpieces but needs to be driven very hard to anneal mid caliber (223 to 30-06) rifle brass. The difficulty I'm having is matching the DC power supply to the work coil/capacitor circuit. Mine is a work in progress - When I get that sorted it should be a very repeatable system.

​Ian

Simjim Which circuit are you using to drive your induction coil?
I've built one as per http://www.rmcybernetics.com/projects/DIY_Devices/diy-induction-heater.htm - It works well especially on steel workpieces but needs to be driven very hard to anneal mid caliber (223 to 30-06) rifle brass. The difficulty I'm having is matching the DC power supply to the work coil/capacitor circuit. Mine is a work in progress - When I get that sorted it should be a very repeatable system.

​Ian

Thats a good place to start. What dc are you running?
Have you used just the caps suplied or are you going to add more?
What distance do you have between the case and coil?

Have you tried putting a steel rod the ID of the case into the case? That way the restance will respond much more! Ok not a direct heating of the brass but none the less it will heat the brass enoght!

A lot depends on the gap. If you take a piece of shrink wrap and shrink it to the case. Then apply another layer of shrink wrap. You should have the right spacing. Then wrap your coil around the shrink wrapped kneck!

Battery dc will not last long!
Problem with mosfet pulsed dc is it not really a proper phased pulse!

I have two untried untested induction loop machines I bought for a project that are still sitting here if someone fancies a home annealer

two of these:

Back