Thread: Rewiring light force lamps

Rewiring light force lamps

Fed up with my lamps melting plugs or failing on me. Tried new plugs and sockets, now going to rewire them. What size wire is best for this ?

​Al

SD Regular
    I use 15A two core automotive cable and quick release clips - works well. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Core-...item2a07772a4d for the cable look in their shop for good twist lock 12V socket (can't pull out at the critical moment!) and the connectors.

HTH
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Cheers Eric, 15a it is then
    ​Al

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    Cheers Eric, 15a it is then
    ​Al
    Some may say this is a little over the top - 100W at 12V needs 8.33A draw, so playing safe! Certainly doesn't heat up like cables/connectors will when run close to their limits. You find the head of the lamp heat well!

I put connectors in so I can put a longer lead on when working from the cab/back of the landy. A 4m extension means I can walk all round the Landy if I need and I have a sort lead plugged into a battery back if I need to suddenly go walkabout, which is just a change of the QR connector. Seems to work very well in harsh conditions.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Eric, do you replace the standard switch as well?

​Al

i have a lamp out the top.... but i also wired a 3 pin plug ( like what you have in your house) so then the is no fear of melting or pulling out... and this is also hard wired off the battery....

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5x55 View Post
    i have a lamp out the top.... but i also wired a 3 pin plug ( like what you have in your house) so then the is no fear of melting or pulling out... and this is also hard wired off the battery....
    good idea, but my lamps need to be able to work from various vehicles. The cigarette plugs are the best option for me.

​Al

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    Eric, do you replace the standard switch as well?

​Al
    I haven't needed to so far, but no reason why one couldn't.

I replaced all my lamp cables and connectors with bulgin 2 pin connectors from rs components. They screw together so dont pull out and you can get a bulkhead fitting for the dash. I made short flying leads for all my batts as well and soldered them on to the terminals.Hate cigerette plugs.

Ezzy