Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What optics for .17hmr?

What optics for .17hmr?

Hi all

I have a decent .17HMR rifle Anschutz and am looking to upgrade the scope (Currently an old Busnell 3-9x40) that was on a .22.

I am looking for a mid range scope priced say between 200 - 400. The spec has to be 50mm objective and in the range 4-12 magnification. I have been looking at Bushnell, Leupold and Nikon.

I have a Schmidt & Bender for my .243 which is great but do not want to outlay for a scope that does not have to put up with recoil, just the best option for clarity and light transmission for the money.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

I use a Zeiss Duralyt on my .17hmr, very good scope. Although it is a bit more than your budget...

I've got a redfield 3/9/50 on mine great scope for the price

You dont need much scope for head shooting bunnys in HMR ranges. I had a MTC Mamber on my scope for 4 years and took pleanty of bunnys with it in all light conditions and under the lamp.
    I am sure you will get a perfectly useable scope in that budget. Myself I prefer vari mag but others swear buy fixed mag !
    Also worth considering MTC and Hawke.

Theres a deben 4-1656 in the classifieds for 275 that would do the job nicely.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Thanks guys appreciate the info!

a nice meopta would fall into that bracket

A Meopta Meopro 4-12X50 makes an ideal HMR scope. You don't need parallax adjusrment, high mag or a 30mm tube when all your shooting will be between 50 and 150 yards. But you do need bright clear glass to hit a 1" target at 150 yards against a drab background at last light. If you can't run to a Duralyt a Meopro will do that job perfectly at around 380.

Quote Originally Posted by THE CHUNG View Post
    Hi all

I have a decent .17HMR rifle Anschutz and am looking to upgrade the scope (Currently an old Busnell 3-9x40) that was on a .22.

I am looking for a mid range scope priced say between 200 - 400. The spec has to be 50mm objective and in the range 4-12 magnification. I have been looking at Bushnell, Leupold and Nikon.

I have a Schmidt & Bender for my .243 which is great but do not want to outlay for a scope that does not have to put up with recoil, just the best option for clarity and light transmission for the money.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance
    I have got a leupold vx1 on my hmr and it does the job ok that's about it nothing to get excited about.

Plus 1 on the Meopta.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .