.243ack imp fireforming load

TotalNovice

I have a .243ack imp and need to fireform my new brass using 69gr Bergers and Varget.
can any of you give me a load for this please?

I'm thinking of starting around 38gr.

Any advice greatly received!

thanks

Just work up a load and go and use it for practice, stalking or target shooting. I got a nice sika stag with a fire forming load in my 243 Ackley. Regards JCS

Just shoot your normal load, I run an ackley with the same bullet, its a hell of a tip. I run mine on 41gn of Varget but could go hotter. your 38gn would seem a very soft load.

My concern was that it's a standard case, we'll until I squeeze the trigger it is!

Now you mention it I'm sure I used to run 41gr with the 68gr Bergers in my .243win!

In fact, I've just got off my arse and found my load data book, I used 41gr Varget with 74gr Precision Ballistic bullets and the same load for the 68gr Bergers.

One additional comment. When I fire formed, I was using a variety of heavier bullets and tried to seat them so the bullets were slightly into the lands. When I shot 70 gr SMKs, they were ~40 thou off the lands.
​Regards JCS

Hi Jcampbellsmith, yeah, I was considering doing the same, I'm going to seat them so they are 'kissing' the lands!

Once they are all fire formed the fun will start then with some 105gr A-max load development!

​Thanks for for the replies gents.

Hi Jcampbellsmith, yeah, I was considering doing the same, I'm going to seat them so they are 'kissing' the lands!

Once they are all fire formed the fun will start then with some 105gr A-max load development!

​Thanks for for the replies gents.
Hi mate ,
I was using the same 105 grain A-max .
I was using new Lapua brass , a fast burning for bullet weight powder H4895 at a grain under maximum load , and seated the 105 A-max well in to the lands ( so no rearward thrust of case to bolt face and a good form of case after firing ) - this advise was gained from the Nosler reloader manual covering the ackley improved forming.
Done the same with the 6.5-55 ackley improved too as in forming!!

Last edited:
Hi mate ,
I was using the same 105 grain A-max .
I was using new Lapua brass , a fast burning for bullet weight powder H4895 at a grain under maximum load , and seated the 105 A-max well in to the lands ( so no rearward thrust of case to bolt face and a good form of case after firing ) - this advise was gained from the Nosler reloader manual covering the ackley improved forming.
Done the same with the 6.5-55 ackley improved too as in forming!!

Hi intercepter, I was toying with using N165 with the 105's mate, that or reloader22.

​A guy I know who we shall call 'Enchilada' gave me some excellent advice on the .243ai with the 105's ;)

Hi intercepter, I was toying with using N165 with the 105's mate, that or reloader22....

When I had my std 243 Win, I had some success with N165 and 105 A-Max and 107 SMKs loaded around the 43.5 gr mark. NB, that was my standard loading and I wasn't going for warp factor velocity. I was given some RL-22 to try, but never got round to it.

Regards

JCS

When fireforming improved cases its a good idea to use the fastest powder reccommended for the parent cartridge, the pressure spike peaks much quicker then when using slower powders and aids blowing out of the case to fit the improved chamber.

Ian.

Ackley's idea was to chamber the AI 0.004" short so that the case was held central by seating with pressure against the neck/shoulder junction.. Bullet length then has no bearing, pun intended ;) , in the cases position in the chamber. He claims that in doing so factory ammunition can be used and the cases so formed will be correct.

Ackley's idea was to chamber the AI 0.004" short so that the case was held central by seating with pressure against the neck/shoulder junction.. Bullet length then has no bearing, pun intended ;) , in the cases position in the chamber. He claims that in doing so factory ammunition can be used and the cases so formed will be correct.

+1 hence why you cant improve a factory chamber with out setting back!

Ian.

Back