Advice on bsa stutzen in 243

Hi everyone, I am new to deerstalking and would like some advice please on the bsa stutzen in 243.i am looking to purchase one of these rifles, and any help and advice on them would be great, thanks tim.

Hello Legionarie, I have two CF2 rifles. My .243 has a 23" barrel (not the Stutzen) and althought bought second hand 30 years ago, will still produce 1" groups. It has a 4x 40 Ednar scope (Japanese) and I have thought about changing it from time to time, but it seldom moves off zero.
My stutzen is in 6.5x55, 19 inch barrel and is of similar accuracy and i usually take that one stalking rather than the Sako in the same calibre.
You may struggle to get the velocity to give 1700 Ft/Lbs with .243 and a 19" barrel. but in Scotland rules are different and I beleive thet the minimum requirement is a 100 grain bullet.

Good Hunting.

I have a stutzen in 308 fantastic rifle verry accurate less than 1'' at 100 yrd it cost me £360 with scope it is one of the last ones made 1985. it was shot a couple of times and then put away for many years. i have put a 6x42 swork on the top it is when rifles were made to a good std. iff you can find a good one thay are well worth it

I have one in 270 and love it it won't be leaving my ticket its too good to let go,atb wayne

I too have a bsa stuzen in 270.albeit 25+years old still shoots through the same hole.if you ever want a go i can sort an indoor range in bangor.

My CF2 Stutzen in 270 Win was my first rifle purchase. it was new shop soiled as it gained a couple of marks to it whilst on the rack in the shop. I thought that the barrel length was 20" but of course I am unable to check on that at this present time.

I have always been very happy with mine and in fact used it to shoot in the clubs annual 600 yard comp for a few years until they banned the use of scopes.

Sorry i do not know of any for sale.

I also have a BSA CF2 Stutzen in .270 and love it. However if its your only rife I would think twice as you may want to have a moderator to be acceptable in today's mixed up world. My Stutzen is a luxury second rifle. When I say luxury it only cost me £90 but have since put a nice Meopta scope on it.

How do they stabilize the wood?
Whenever accuracy is asked about, the first question is " barrel touching the stock"

They seem to work, and look good too. Just cant get my head round wood not moving when taken from a heated house to a wet forest or field

I might have one for sale in .243 in 3-4 weeks - I bought and restored it for my youngest son but he is a heretic and wants something in plastic and stainless steel instead. It was very accurate as it was, so I'm sure it will be again now that it has been restored to glory.

I'm just waiting for the barrelled action to come back from the re-finisher with lustrous new blueing, then I can reunite it with it's equally lustrous restored oiled stock before fettling it up with new scope rings and a low profile stalking scope.

It's a very pretty little gun.

How do they stabilize the wood?
Whenever accuracy is asked about, the first question is " barrel touching the stock"

They seem to work, and look good too. Just cant get my head round wood not moving when taken from a heated house to a wet forest or field

This is usually asked by those who follow and chant the :-

Free Floating mantra

Others who have been about a bit or that have an open mind are not so taken by this Mantra.

Traditionally stocked sporting/hunting rifles have a pressure point in the barrel channel a little back from the fore tip. In a lot of more modern production rifles this has been left out and I really suspect it's more to do with costs than that Free Floating is better. Add in the popular with manufacturers "Tupper ware" plastic stocks that flex and twist and have about as much rigidity as a bit of chewing gum.

Sadly some Kiln Dried wood is just abo
ut as bad and once again was used for cost reasons and no other despite with the Kiln operators may say. Air dried wood is the proper way to do it :old: .

You might be surprised to hear that I am NOT a fan of free floating barrels :lol: .

Free Floating mantra

Others who have been about a bit or that have an open mind are not so taken by this Mantra.

Traditionally stocked sporting/hunting rifles have a pressure point in the barrel channel a little back from the fore tip. In a lot of more modern production rifles this has been left out and I really suspect it's more to do with costs than that Free Floating is better. Add in the popular with manufacturers "Tupper ware" plastic stocks that flex and twist and have about as much rigidity as a bit of chewing gum.

ut as bad and once again was used for cost reasons and no other despite with the Kiln operators may say. Air dried wood is the proper way to do it :old: .

You might be surprised to hear that I am NOT a fan of free floating barrels :lol: .

I've got a CF2 in .222. Not a Stutzen but a heavy barrel varminter with a beefy wenge type fore-end. Its not floated. I've often thought about having it floated but I'm worried about upsetting it. I can't fault the way it shoots. It embarrasses a good many modern and more expensive rifles. My only issue with a pressure fitted stock is that I don't like getting it wet. With my other rifles which are all wood and blued with floated stocks, I can dry and oil the the underside of the barrel and remove excess moisture or oil with a piece of thin cloth or absorbant paper slid under the barrel. If I get any of my rifles truly drenched I'll take the stocks off but if the Beeza gets slightly moist I can imagine things swelling and distorting and I feel I have to take it apart, and I don't like to keep taking stocks on and off, especially a pressure fitted one. Same issue with a Stutzen, I imagine.

Free Floating mantra

Yea, that worked for the gentry years ago. first born arrives safely and you put his name down for school and inform your stockmaker to
lay down some walnut blanks. Nowadays its more likely a lottery win or a big raise in your credit card limit sending the tyro to the local gunshop ASAP:D

Hi everyone, I am new to deerstalking and would like some advice please on the bsa stutzen in 243.i am looking to purchase one of these rifles, and any help and advice on them would be great, thanks tim.

​Can a moderator be fitted to the rifle you are looking at? Regards JCS

Nice rifle the BSA stutzen even in .243 calibre. LOL The problem that you are going to have Legionnaire is finding one in reasonable condition as it's been a long time now since they were last made (25 + years?). Sleepers do turn up now and again, it's just a matter of waiting for the right one to come along.

I've got a CF2 in .222. Not a Stutzen but a heavy barrel varminter with a beefy wenge type fore-end. Its not floated. I've often thought about having it floated but I'm worried about upsetting it. I can't fault the way it shoots. It embarrasses a good many modern and more expensive rifles. My only issue with a pressure fitted stock is that I don't like getting it wet. With my other rifles which are all wood and blued with floated stocks, I can dry and oil the the underside of the barrel and remove excess moisture or oil with a piece of thin cloth or absorbant paper slid under the barrel. If I get any of my rifles truly drenched I'll take the stocks off but if the Beeza gets slightly moist I can imagine things swelling and distorting and I feel I have to take it apart, and I don't like to keep taking stocks on and off, especially a pressure fitted one. Same issue with a Stutzen, I imagine.

The BSA's only touch the stock at the bottom of the channel on the pad the rest has a bit of clearance. Personally I would take the stock off and give it a clean in and around the barrel channel and make sure that the stock is still sealed there. but don't play with the pad. I note your comment on disturbing them but you only need to do this say once a year or so. Personally I have not found this to be a problem.

Often I have noticed that on free floated rifles it's the front bedding under the chamber which compresses over time due to the weight cantilevered off this point so the weight is concentrated upon this one spot. Having 4 1/2lbs of steel tube hanging out of the front of the receiver it going to put lots of pressure on that point and that's the weight P-H claimed for their Heavy Barrels fitted to the likes of the 1200TX and the 1200V "varmint" models. The fore tip pad does relieve some of this and spread it along the fore stock.

Some custom rifles are fully bedded but not many as not only is it out of fashion but it's time consuming and therefore expensive. These tend to be the ones that are fitted up in high quality Walnut and hand inletted and the bedding carefully cut by hand. Removing the metal work is not so easy due to the tight way it fits.

​The CF2 Stutzen is not free floated either, in fact I believe that only the CFT was made to be so at the factory. The front sling loop actually screws into a band that goes around the barrel to give support to the loops fitting due to the very thin wood at that point. Fitting a Bi-Pod to a CF2 Stutzen would be a very bad idea IMHO and asking for problems.

Why would anyone want to fit a bipod on a lovely little stutzen even if it could be done.:cuckoo:

Back