.17hmr advice

goldypurple

i know its not a stalking rifle, need ya advice

I think i have sorted the good reason for getting a .243 as im doing deer stalking, bought days etc.

But i also wanna get a 17hmr, ive got no land of my own, but i do go vermin shooting with invites etc is this good enough reason if i get a letter from the invites, also is .17hmr ok for general target shooting within clubs?

so guys any idea if i do get one, what .17hmr for target/vermin shooting?

Cheers
Andy

If you want it for target Anschutz has got be the way to go,also make an equally good vermin rifle,hundreds of rabbits round here would testify to that if they could,trouble is telling where the 2nd, 3rd ect have gone because they'll be in the same hole :lol:
Don't know about the land use though,can't see it should be a problem,but range use would probably be ok,duno.
Neil

Two problems with .17HMR for target shooting;

1. Expanding ammunition not allowed.

2. If a rimfire range the velocity will probably exceed that permitted by the range safety certificate.

Outdoor or indoor it makes no difference, if it is approved or certified you must abide by the rules and the conditions on your own certificate.

the ranges that ill be using will be military ranges

will have to get a copy of range standing order and she what they state

Do your self a favor, buy a 22 hornet . :lol: for range use, vermin & fox, to re-load , & have fun @ 150yds +.

finnbear270 you are quite right about it needing to be FMJ on military ranges but goldy will also need to be aware of range standing orders.
I have seen range safety certificates that show velocity and muzzle energy limits for both rimfire and centrefire on the same range.
The result is that you can use .22LR but not .17HMR because it exceeds the velocity limit for rimfire on the safety certificate, you can also use 7.62mm because that falls within the limits but not .22-250 because that exceeds the velocity limit when we all know that 7.62mm generates a much higher muzzle energy.
The conclusion that the military have therefore drawn is that the range is safe for 7.62mm but not .17HMR, go figure that one out.

And before anyone comes back and says that often these restrictions are for good safety reasons e.g. not allowing rimfires at short range on many fullbore ranges because the possibility of bullets bouncing back off the targets, all I would add is look at the standing orders and comply with them.Also don't forget that you have to comply with the conditions on your F.A.C.

A firearms enquirey officer recently told me in the most certain of terms that shooters must have a target shooting condition on their certificates in order to shoot on approved ranges. He agreed that given the oportunity to use a properly constructed range must be safer than an improvised range in the field. However he was insistant that unless mention was made on the shooters certificate they would be breaking the law and liable to prosecution.
The daft thing is that if that shooter joined a club he could use a club rifle or another members rifle (with their permission) under the club rifle exemption, but not his own until the necessary authority was granted. Could another club member use that member's rifle???

ok im starting to lean towards a .22lr

next question

if i get it for target shooting mainly on my fac, will that allow me to use it on any land that has been certified?

Andy

Hi Andy,
Sounds like you're moving along fast - you almost got the form ready then?

From wat I've gathered, I think you'll need to have a variation for the 22 for field work, (not just range), and then you can shoot it on any verified land with the owner's permission. Or you could get lucky if you have a good few permissions or a good arguemnet and get an open ticket. Then you don't worry about certification

harry getting there slowly lol

im hoping i wont have to much of a problem with the application.

Had some good news today thou, managed to get all my range quals what i got in the military converted to civilian ones, so i hope that helps with my application.

goldypurple said:
ok im starting to lean towards a .22lr

next question

if i get it for target shooting mainly on my fac, will that allow me to use it on any land that has been certified?

Short answer is NO unless your FAC specifically mentions it.

If you have land available and can show good reason i.e. for a .22 for vermin, then just stick in the application with the form of wording that you have already put in for a .243 (or was it a .308 or something else????) on one of your other threads.

Whatever you can show good reason for is what you can apply for. Simples?

Back