Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alberta Buck!!

Alberta Buck!!

Whitetail taken with a Parker Hale 1943 No 4 sporter in 303 British - 175 yds - who says the 303 is obsolete?!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hunting Oct 2013 025.JPG  

Beautiful Whitetail Alberta Boy! - will make a great mount. Nothing wrong with the .303, shot hundreds of deer with this calibre in my younger days..... Bill.

That is a cracker, well done.
    Cheers
    ​Richard

Alberta boy - well done! Nice to see a different species being hunted.. How does the hunting in Alberta work? Do you get a tag, or do you have to buy it? Is it a long season? Always interested to hear about how other countries hunt..

Have you hunted in the UK?

Nice, that's a beauty!

​Alex

Nice.... Makes me homesick.... We could only use shotgun and slug in Ohio back then tho.... Maybe still that way now?? Nice thing about it, at the distance a slug was effective, you never had to worry about having the best rifle/scope combo etc......

Cracker AB! Looks like you got lucky with that .303 - They aren't supposed to work you know!

Scrummy

Well I for one don't think it's obsolete as a hunting round but then I am biased .

​Congratulations indeed.

Great looking Deer that.
    Almost doesn't look real (that might just be my stupid brain)

Would love to have a go for one, one day

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    Alberta boy - well done! Nice to see a different species being hunted.. How does the hunting in Alberta work? Do you get a tag, or do you have to buy it? Is it a long season? Always interested to hear about how other countries hunt..

Have you hunted in the UK?
    I did hunt small game ( rabbits ) when I was boy. I was born in Enfield, and I lived on Ordnance Rd just up the street from RSAF Enfield Lock before I immigrated here. I never got the chance to hunt anything bigger unfortunately, but I've made up for it since I came to Alberta.

The length of season here varies from zone to zone and species to species. The area I hunt in starts Sept 17th and ends Nov 31rst. You buy tags for each species, the average price is about $ 30 cdn. In my area you're allowed three White-tails, one buck and two does, male Mule-Deer, Bull Elk,Big-Horn Sheep, Cougar and Black Bear on general license ( over the counter ) Bull Moose, Cow Moose, Antelope, Cow Elk, Muley does, Big Horn ewes, Mountain Goat and Wood Bison are on a draw system. You apply in June for the special draw license and you license number goes in a pool, the sucessful hunters are picked in August. The draw works on a priority system, the first time you apply your priority is zero, each year you apply your priority number goes up ie, after three yrs your priority number is two. Fish & Wildlife awards tags to those hunters with the highest priority number in each category, it sounds complicated but its very even handed and works very well. Timber Wolves dont require a tag and there is no limit on the number you can take ( I don't shoot wolves myself, I just feel better knowing they're there and enjoy watching them. I feel they have more right to be there than I do, and yes , a lot of people dont share my opinion but to each their own )

There are amazing hunting opportunities in this province and not a day goes by that I'm not thankful for being lucky enough to enjoy them.

AB