Browning A5 shotgun

simon1979

hi all,
I have an old browning A5 shotgun, im just woundering how i can find the age of it, I have looked on browning website, but not an 100% sure if i the right dates.
any help and info would be great
atb
simon

Last edited:
hi all,
I have an old browning A5 shotgun, im just woundering how i can find the age of it, I have looked on browning website, but not an 100% sure if i the right dates.
any help and info would be great
atb
simon

ive got one too, had it for years, kills geeses !
JMB knew his stuff alright

no i didnt see that page, but just had a look through, looks like mine is a pre WW2 one.
Its a creacking shotgun, Im thinking of having the barrel re-blued on mine.
Not to sure if i can use mine for wildfowling, as its a section 1.

atb simon

no i didnt see that page, but just had a look through, looks like mine is a pre WW2 one.
Its a creacking shotgun, Im thinking of having the barrel re-blued on mine.
Not to sure if i can use mine for wildfowling, as its a section 1.

atb simon
Great old gun . They have a bit of a cult following here and have a very good reputation.

AB

cant fault mine, but for a 'old classic' there vaule is very low. Are there still lots of these in use still?
I notice on the browning website, they have it back in production. Looks good, intresting see to how it compares to original.
atb
si

I bought one from the armoury for the princely sum of about a fiver when we pulled out of Singapore in 1971. Just could not get on with it so it went to a Solway wildfowler who, I think still uses it.

The Af especially in it's steel receiver version is a bit heavy when compared to English shotguns. I always liked the look and very nearly bough a Franchi Hunter as my first gun as they of course were based upon the Browning A5.

I dod not acquire an A5 until a few years ago and got one through the rifle club for a very reasonable sum. Sadly the FLO would not allow it to stay as built so it had to be butchered to become a two shot magazine. Luckily a local gunsmith was able to do this for a reasonable sum. Mine had spent a lot of time on the East Coast marshes and despite obvious care the finish on the action showed this use.

I got a friend in the US to get a rebuild kit for me and had the smith fit them at the same time so it had all new recoil springs anf friction washers fitted. He said it didn't need them but as I had bought them and asked him to do so they were fitted and I have the old ones still. Sadly I was several months too late as in his workshop move to a smaller place he scrapped quite a few barrels of differing lengths and chokes fort he A5's as no one seemed to want them :banghead: .

I found the A5 did take a little getting used to as it's very different in heft and feel to the SxS that I was more used to.

I get well with mine but I cant get on as well with a sxs I prefer an ou.
I think mines a steel receiver, it 30" barrel with full choke.
My dad brought this mid 70's but it was never licenced till I took ownership and registered it. It spent 15 years in his barn.
still I good condition through.

cant fault mine, but for a 'old classic' there vaule is very low. Are there still lots of these in use still?
I notice on the browning website, they have it back in production. Looks good, intresting see to how it compares to original.
atb
si

A Belgium made A5 in decent condition will sell for more than most new semi's over here. They are still a common sight , the steel shot requirements have retired a lot of them from waterfowl hunting though. A hunting buddy of mine has a FN built Buck Special that he'll take to the grave, you're right though, they don't handle like a british double lol

AB

Back