Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 22 Rimfire Magnum for deer

22 Rimfire Magnum for deer

It's legal in some States here.
    Any thoughts? ~Muir

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I know nothing about this Caliber/Cartridge.

What bullet weight does it chuck out and what Muzzel Velocity and FPS do they get to?

TJ

It's the plain old 22 Magnum. A 40 grain bullet at 1960 ft/sec. A 30 grain at 2350 fps.~Muir

i haad an old boy i know call me on sunday mornng , sounding a little sheepish . so i went over to see him and it turned out he had shot a roe buck with his .22 mag
    basicly he was out lamping foxes and saw a set of eyes at a base of a hedge and was adiment at was a fox and shot it ! killed it stone dead .

ive used a 22 for humaine dispatch several times but im not so sure about stalking with it !

cheers lee

I've wondered this too - mainly when I'm knocking a few of the old rabbits off with my 22WMR and I spot a muntjac. I am aware they are legal in the US, what are your thoughts on it?

Although here, even much bigger bullets are still not deer legal - in England and Wales minimum is .240 and 1700 ft-lbs (not for the two smallest though) in scotland it's .22 50gr and 1000 ft-lbs for the 3 smallest. So that rules out 22hornet, and 222 and 223 in England.

I guess they just aren't happy giving people much room for error

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5
    i haad an old boy i know call me on sunday mornng , sounding a little sheepish . so i went over to see him and it turned out he had shot a roe buck with his .22 mag
    basicly he was out lamping foxes and saw a set of eyes at a base of a hedge and was adiment at was a fox and shot it ! killed it stone dead .

ive used a 22 for humaine dispatch several times but im not so sure about stalking with it !

cheers lee
    jees, that was quick you got it while I was typing!

Intresting about that case, what range was it and where did he hit it? Not that I've done it, but I wonder how many people have tried it...

Hi...I believe that the .22lr was once used as a snipers round and they took out humans with it at decent ranges....just goes to show its the placement that really counts..

trouble is with the best will in the world one small move of you or the target and the vital spot is missed, thats when you need a bit more power and ammo that does a bit more damage....

its a case of you could....but would you really want to risk it!!!!

ATB

p.s. if i'm wrong someone will surely correct me!!

Muir you really are trying to stir things up - you devil !

It's a good calibre but falls far short of what is legally required to shoot even the smaller species of deer in these countries.

There are many who oppose the use of .222R for roe, and that generates about 3 times the muzzle energy of the .22WRM.

Can't see the logic of allowing it's use for deer if this is the case in certain states in the U.S. Mind you I do agree with your comments elsewhere as being a better calibre than .17HMR.
    No problem as regards a close range round for despatching, probably a very good choice under the right conditions.

shotplacement, shotplacement, shotplacement ...and keep it under 200yds ...seems to be what we always hear on here if it comes to calibers.
    maybe it'll work with this one to.
    edi

Although totally illegal I have no doubt that a .22WMR would easily kill the s,aller species of Deer. I'm tempted to say all of them, but with little experience of the bigger quarry I'm not sure? I expect it would do just fine. They run at about 320ft-lbs I think so although well short of a Deer calibre they're pretty potent! The way I see it any round that will punch through a 2" piece of timber will easily work with a brain shot on an animal the size of a Deer. It may not be any good for a boiler room shot, but I'd say it will do as good a job with a head shot as the bigger calibres will.

I know a guy who's taken several injured Deer with his .22lr and subsonic rounds. That too would have been illegal but his arguement is that he'd rather not see the animal suffer any longer and I have to say I agree 100%.