22 Rimfire Magnum for deer

I know nothing about this Caliber/Cartridge.

What bullet weight does it chuck out and what Muzzel Velocity and FPS do they get to?

TJ

i haad an old boy i know call me on sunday mornng , sounding a little sheepish . so i went over to see him and it turned out he had shot a roe buck with his .22 mag
basicly he was out lamping foxes and saw a set of eyes at a base of a hedge and was adiment at was a fox and shot it ! killed it stone dead .

ive used a 22 for humaine dispatch several times but im not so sure about stalking with it ! :confused:

cheers lee

I've wondered this too - mainly when I'm knocking a few of the old rabbits off with my 22WMR and I spot a muntjac. I am aware they are legal in the US, what are your thoughts on it?

Although here, even much bigger bullets are still not deer legal - in England and Wales minimum is .240 and 1700 ft-lbs (not for the two smallest though) in scotland it's .22 50gr and 1000 ft-lbs for the 3 smallest. So that rules out 22hornet, and 222 and 223 in England.

I guess they just aren't happy giving people much room for error

leec6.5 said:
i haad an old boy i know call me on sunday mornng , sounding a little sheepish . so i went over to see him and it turned out he had shot a roe buck with his .22 mag
basicly he was out lamping foxes and saw a set of eyes at a base of a hedge and was adiment at was a fox and shot it ! killed it stone dead .

ive used a 22 for humaine dispatch several times but im not so sure about stalking with it ! :confused:

cheers lee
jees, that was quick you got it while I was typing!

Intresting about that case, what range was it and where did he hit it? Not that I've done it, but I wonder how many people have tried it...

Hi...I believe that the .22lr was once used as a snipers round and they took out humans with it at decent ranges....just goes to show its the placement that really counts..

trouble is with the best will in the world one small move of you or the target and the vital spot is missed, thats when you need a bit more power and ammo that does a bit more damage....

its a case of you could....but would you really want to risk it!!!!

ATB

p.s. if i'm wrong someone will surely correct me!!

Muir you really are trying to stir things up - you devil ! :evil:

It's a good calibre but falls far short of what is legally required to shoot even the smaller species of deer in these countries.

There are many who oppose the use of .222R for roe, and that generates about 3 times the muzzle energy of the .22WRM.

Can't see the logic of allowing it's use for deer if this is the case in certain states in the U.S. Mind you I do agree with your comments elsewhere as being a better calibre than .17HMR.
No problem as regards a close range round for despatching, probably a very good choice under the right conditions.

shotplacement, shotplacement, shotplacement ...and keep it under 200yds ...seems to be what we always hear on here if it comes to calibers.
maybe it'll work with this one to.
edi

Although totally illegal I have no doubt that a .22WMR would easily kill the s,aller species of Deer. I'm tempted to say all of them, but with little experience of the bigger quarry I'm not sure? I expect it would do just fine. They run at about 320ft-lbs I think so although well short of a Deer calibre they're pretty potent! The way I see it any round that will punch through a 2" piece of timber will easily work with a brain shot on an animal the size of a Deer. It may not be any good for a boiler room shot, but I'd say it will do as good a job with a head shot as the bigger calibres will.

I know a guy who's taken several injured Deer with his .22lr and subsonic rounds. That too would have been illegal but his arguement is that he'd rather not see the animal suffer any longer and I have to say I agree 100%.

8x57: Maybe I'm just trying to draw heat off of the 6.5x55 thread??? ;)

It is a small caliber but I will admit, that one snowy winter I used it on a small doe at 40 yards. A well placed shot to the head killed her instantly. One of the reasons that rimfires are legal for deer in some areas was originally to allow poorer folks the ability to get a deer if they had a lowly .22 and the ability to get close enough. I was told that this is the reason in the state of Vermont and, in my case, it was all I had available to me as I was an out of work construction worker at the time.

I know it doesn't pass muster on your side of the Pond but I'm still interested in the opinions of the group. As Ejg implied, it's a situation where shot placement and judgment are paramount. It makes me wonder how attitudes would change if EVERY hunter had the mind set that their rifle was only marginal and that the shot they were lining up to make must be done with care and precision?? ~Muir

Muir said:
8x57: Maybe I'm just trying to draw heat off of the 6.5x55 thread??? ;)

You've done a very good job, too!

I must point out before Tahr does, though, that the .22WMR carries more energy at the muzzle than a 6.5x55 firing a 160grain bullet at 962fps. ;)

For what its worth I heard of a incident in the Highlands where an estate worker was out on the hill with a .22 rimfire. He was basically vermin shooting, saw some deer in the wrong place and fired a shot way over their heads to scare them and move them on. They were approximately 150 yards away. One of the stags fell like a stone and upon examination it was found that the bullet had entered through the ear and had entered the brain.

Good or bad luck depending where you stand.

I wasn't there so can't verify it but I suppose it's possible.

Bob

Sooner or later this thread will descend into nonsense. Maybe along these lines:

:eek: "I find the 22 WMR a little over powerful - in terms of noise versus any benefit - for my poaching needs. The noise almost of the old standy Hornet but without the advantage of reloadability."

:eek: "As few stallholders use this 22 WMR it is not easy to acquire by my usual "slight of hand" as when the fair comes to town is regular 22LR."

:eek: "I prefer standard long rifle as it is makes less noise. You really do need a fair old windy night to cover the "bang" if you're out on the Chase with a 22 WMR!"

:eek: "Say what you like I still reckon, comparing the two, that there is a lot going for the old trusty Barnet Panzer at close range....silent but deadly!"

leec6.5 said:

Saw a set of eyes! Quarry recognition? What or who gets shot next? Stuff like this should never happen. its a basic rule that if you cannot tell what it is you do not shoot. As has been said a good many times by members DEAD IS DEAD. I dont suppose the buck worried to much that it was a .22 Mag.

cheers lee

Sorry Lee it looks like I have inadvertantly changed your post. For everyones info my three penneth begins with Saw a pair of eyes?
Once again sorry. One fine day I will be at one with technology.
John.

Hi Muir

When culling goats in NZ one of the Kiwi’s out with us was using a Marlin in 22mag, :eek: I was using a 243 and my mate a 223, what surprised me was the amount of clean kills despite taking heart lung shots. :confused: (although there still was a few that needed a follow up shot :cry: ). I think we let him shoot the close ones while me and my mate shot the ones further away.

I seem to remember that there was an authenticated case of a Indian Squawk shooting dead a grizzly bear in 1910 with a rifle chambered in 22LR. She was shooting squirrel and collecting mushrooms. I believe she shot it 5 times in the head and the bear fell on top of her as it dropped dead, she then had to crawl out from under it. (Although the author of the book seemed to think the last bit might have been added for effect.)

As for shooting at eyes, that’s how a badger watcher with night vision gear on got shot by a chap out foxing. He saw the reflection off the NV and let rip with a 243 the anti lost a lung and was very lucky to get away with his life.

Best rgds

Tahr

I recall about three or four years ago there were, I think, three human fatalities due to idiots like Lee's aquaintance shooting at eyes that they couldn't be bothered to identify! Who cares about calibres/quarry/seasons/qualifications etc.... an iresponsible idiot is just that and, in my opinion, certainly should not have access to a firearm. JC

JC275 said:
I recall about three or four years ago there were, I think, three human fatalities due to idiots like Lee's aquaintance shooting at eyes JC

IIRC in one sad case a father shot his stepson :cry:

ATB

Tahr

Back