Hello from Downunder

SamHuntVic

Hello everyone. My name is Grant and I live about 70km from Melbourne in Australia. I hunt the mighty Sambar deer in the high country of Victoria. Sometimes alone and other times with members of different clubs and Aushunt forum members. Looking forward to reading tips and methods of stalking from other members here. Hunting is my business.
Grant

Hi there welcome to the forum! I spent a bit of time in victoria, worked at stoneys minto pastoral just outside of mansfield for a while, I spent a fair amount of time (unsuccessfully) chasing sambar around the place. Great fun around there, hopefully be back one day!

ross16689 said:
Hi there welcome to the forum! I spent a bit of time in victoria, worked at stoneys minto pastoral just outside of mansfield for a while, I spent a fair amount of time (unsuccessfully) chasing sambar around the place. Great fun around there, hopefully be back one day!

Hi,

in a previous life I was in the merchant navy and was on liners on the Australia/America cruises, and called into Perth, Melbourne and Sydney but, in those days I was chasing beer and women rather than deer. I still think about chasing beer and women but age has slowed me down so stalking is the better past time.

regards

Dave

Yes Ross, great Sambar country around Mansfield. We hunted Whitfield a couple of months ago but the weekend rained and snowed us out.
Grant

Hey Sam,

Welcome into the herd! :) Plenty of good information here that applies equally to our hunting & yours as well.

Looking forward to some phots when you next connect with one of those beasts.

You know, carrying a mature stag out, single-handed - that sort of thing! ;)

They are big buggers & I hope to get down under and hunt them over the coming years.

Rgds

Ian :)

I spent most of my time down the other way around eildon/howqua, never strayed too far from the merrijig pub! Yeah the weather gets real bad, we were always getting rained off, spent the down time shooting skippys for the dogs, great fun!

Ross the last good stag we got was on the Big River side of Eildon in October last year. Just under 300kg, 271/2" and 281/2". I have pics but can't post them here yet.
Grant

Big beasts aren't they! We shot a couple and it took me and 4 shearers to get them back on the ute. We shot around one of the stations called glenroy it was out near bonnie doon. One of the other station managers took a huge trophy out near violet town, said it was the first deer he'd seen near the place, it just wondered out the bush so he shot it, a guy called gavin ellis. Have you ever been to the gunshop in mansfield? I bought a hunting bow from them, pretty sure they still have it!

Yes Ross, The Shooting Zone. That's one of my customers.. Around the Big River area was burned to a crisp back in February, but it has started to come back now, plenty of green pick and the thick undergrowth is gone. No cover, but I have seen plenty of fresh sign in there. At the moment it's an area to be hunted by glassing and long stalks, evening and early morning.
Grant

ha ha. could you ask what became of my bow? didnt know there was fires that area, hope chris and kim are ok. ask ken's wife about the scottish boy who bought .223 and .17 hmr ammo for nathan at genroy. great to bump into someone so close to where I was. If you want some good trophys talk to stuart white the central division manager, he's an absolute gun nut! He could probably put you on to some trophy sambar stags on private land!

Ha ha yeah I guess it probably has been. Never hit anything and lost every arrow I fired, theres probably still a fair few lying about around eildon!

Back