Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderator or not,

Moderator or not,

Hi lads being new to all this, do you need a moderator or not, and will most stalking estates request mods, cheers tim.

Tim I dont use a mod proper ear protection is needed though, I was told you needed a mod or you wouldn't be asked back i have found the opposite but i am carefull as to when i shoot ,forestry commission you need a mod.atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I hate them but it seems de rigour to have them now whether you need them or not, i would have thought on the hill miles from anywhere you would not need one.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    I hate them but it seems de rigour to have them now whether you need them or not, i would have thought on the hill miles from anywhere you would not need one.

Ian.
    I know what you mean but one of the main justifications for moderators was to give some protection to the shooters ears not just to reduce noise disturbance. If you recall many police forces were initially very reluctant to grant variations for moderators and people were quoting health & safety issues as justification, something police forces couldn't really argue with. I believe that F.C. rangers are also required to wear hearing protection in addition to using moderators but I may be mistaken there.

It is possible to fit an end can to a stutzen type rifle but it requires some relieving of the woodwork, the rifles don't really lend themselves to being fitted with moderators.
    Last edited by 8x57; 03-11-2013 at 06:33.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

We are meant to wear hearing protection as well as using a mod. The mods only slow down the rate you loose your hearing, they don't stop it. Anybody who shoots a rifle with or without a mod should use hearing protection. Being partially deaf is no fun

​Al

I was told the following by a doctor I was shooting with one day...

The damage is done on the first initial exposure to the shot (or loud bang), although obviously continually subjecting your ears to loud bangs and noises will continue to worsen your hearing. So, anyone who has fired a rifle pre moderator days without hearing protection will already be experiencing a decrease in your hearing ability. He also said that even ear muffs do not prevent damage completely being caused as the bones around the ear are still capable of picking up sounds. As an example her said that a motorbike helmet offers the best protection to hearing as the ear and surrounding bones are protected, not that this is a suggestion for a new stalking fashion.

Ranger and Jamross what you say about loosing your hearing being no fun is spot on, I've noticed that mine has deteriorated over a number of years despite always wearing ear defenders on the range though I have to admit that it is only in recent years I have used a moderator on some of my rifles in the field but never use any other hearing protection. I shoot a lot on an indoor tunnel range and the noise especially from short barrelled un-moderated rifles can be very high, so I often wear ear plugs and ear defenders. I have to admit that I am not fond of the muzzle brakes that some club members choose to use or of the current trend for .300wm rifles. I can honestly see that at some time in the future we will have to consider making it compulsory in the club to use moderators in the tunnel when shooting.

I think back to the days when I shot .303 with the cadets and all we were given was a bit of rolled up 4x2 to put in your ears and we often shot on covered firing points. I also think about shooting in the RAF when we were issued with ear plugs but they never fitted because stores simply issued the one size that was available.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    I was told the following by a doctor I was shooting with one day...

The damage is done on the first initial exposure to the shot (or loud bang), although obviously continually subjecting your ears to loud bangs and noises will continue to worsen your hearing. So, anyone who has fired a rifle pre moderator days without hearing protection will already be experiencing a decrease in your hearing ability.
    wish i knew then what i know now ribs hurt from constant nudging by my girlfriend usually followed by the words are you listening to me you deaf ""*&^%$
    have a look at the online test http://www.hearinglosscheck.org/hearingcheck/check/

Quote Originally Posted by lowfarm View Post
    wish i knew then what i know now ribs hurt from constant nudging by my girlfriend usually followed by the words are you listening to me you deaf ""*&^%$
    have a look at the online test http://www.hearinglosscheck.org/hearingcheck/check/
    Just finished that test and my results "I do not have hearing loss" thanks for posting this link very interesting, I do suffer from tinnitus though which can be a real b***h !! does anyone know while we are on this very important subject of any advice/help living with it ? I do not think there is a cure for the condition and I have suffered it for some years Guess I will just have to put up with it though I am sure unprotected hearing and gunfire caused it so in answer to the OP get a mod it will help you in the long run.

Interesting, just done the test and it also said that no hearing loss, this was with a film on the other PC at normal volume too. I also suffer enough tinnitus that I need to 'mask' it to get to sleep...