Thread: magnum primers.

magnum primers.

I have changed powders from h414 to viht140 but have still a few hundred fed magnum primers, would they be ok to use with the viht, or should i get large rifle primers to start?

cheers leon.

Never done it myself but theorically you would need to reduce your powder and work up again. You would then need to rework the load again for the large rifle primers. Personally I would just move on to the LR primer and not bother using up the magnum ones.

Charlie, My way of thinking magnum primers are used in magnum cartridges, ie wsm. It would be less to do with what type of powder you are using. However if you still want to use them up I would do as tack270 suggests

Quote Originally Posted by charlie-hunter View Post
    I have changed powders from h414 to viht140 but have still a few hundred fed magnum primers, would they be ok to use with the viht, or should i get large rifle primers to start?

cheers leon.
    What cartridges are you loading originally?........ Mag primers can adversely affect standard cartridge loadings immensely.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

charlie if you don't want them I will have them
    down your way soon
    might even have some CCI200's to swap if you want

FYI I use magnums in the 300WM but use normal LR for the .270

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    you've had to change your load anyway as you've changed powder....so you might aswell continue to use the primers you have and work up a load using that powder and primer combination.
    A magnum primer burns slightly hotter and faster than a standard primer and is used primarily in larger capacity cases with slower burning powders to ensure that all the powder is burnt inside the case. If you do change primers at any point you WILL have to redevelop the overall load.
    You can use magnum primers with faster burning powders if you choose as long as you start your load from below the maximum recommended charge weight in the manuals and work up from there.

I use Magnums with H414 in the .243 and Nosler 70Grn Baltips..... years ago I asked Mick at Norman Clark's about it and he told me that Magnums were ideal for the ball powder that H414 is, just needed something a bit hotter to get a clean burn going.

I don't know what form V140 takes.

Cheers

Fizz

I chose mag primers after a few recommendations for the use with H414 as reports that it is temp sensitive and can have trouble igniting.

So is there no problem using mag primers on viht 140 or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbangwhallop View Post
    I don't know what form V140 takes.
    single base extruded AFAIK

Quote Originally Posted by charlie-hunter View Post
    So is there no problem using mag primers on viht 140 or similar?
    should see no issue for bullets below 80gr and charges below max levels
    ​work up as you would anything else

Reduce the load and use the magnum primers. I once inadvertently loaded Rem 9 1/2M instead of Rem 9 1/2's and only saw a slight opening in group size. The thing is, any change in ignition can affect accuracy. Don't be surprised if your group sizes change for either better or worse.~Muir