Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids first air rifle.

Kids first air rifle.

As above i am looking at getting my boys their first air rifle this xmas, so bit of background first. They are both 8 years old and really enjoy coming out with me when we hit the airfield looking for rabbits, they have eyes that would put a good set of bins to shame as i have found out on many occasions when they point out rabbits or deer that are a good few hundred yards away that i havent noticed yet.

Anyway i did have a Gamo Stalker Deluxe in .22 but it is just a bit on the big side for them so any advice on a nice compact .177 that would suit them would be gratefully appreciated. Any good or bad experiences of rifles used would help.

Many thanks in advance

Adam

P.S As i am in Kenya just now i have promised them both a custom spray job on their rifles if they behave themselve so if anyone knows someone then let me know also

adam

I would suggest a vintage BSA Meteor.

They are smallish, relatively easy to cock, not too heavy and sufficiently powerful.

I started both my children on Meteors and will soon use the same guns to intro the grandchildren.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Muirhead View Post
    As above i am looking at getting my boys their first air rifle this xmas, so bit of background first. They are both 8 years old and really enjoy coming out with me when we hit the airfield looking for rabbits, they have eyes that would put a good set of bins to shame as i have found out on many occasions when they point out rabbits or deer that are a good few hundred yards away that i havent noticed yet.

Anyway i did have a Gamo Stalker Deluxe in .22 but it is just a bit on the big side for them so any advice on a nice compact .177 that would suit them would be gratefully appreciated. Any good or bad experiences of rifles used would help.

Many thanks in advance

Adam

P.S As i am in Kenya just now i have promised them both a custom spray job on their rifles if they behave themselve so if anyone knows someone then let me know also

adam
    I don't know whether you want a PCP or a springer, but the BSA Ultra is a fantastic little rifle...mine will put pellet on pellet all day long at 35m and is deadly on bunnies.

Not too sure to be honest, probably looking at a .177, not sold on either springer or PCP just yet but open to ideas

A lot of junior air rifles are great such as the HW 25l, but they are limited to about 6 ft/lbs which is ok for paper punching, but inhumane for rabbits. By far the best you will get for them is an Air Arms S200, or even better is the T200 (target version) which has an adjustable length/height stock. They are a deadly accurate PCP designed for juniors and are full power which is ideal for bunnies. They are so good though, that the second hand value reflects this and a full set up may still cost you about 300-350 used. Try mine if you like.
    MS
    Has to be a .177 too!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    A lot of junior air rifles are great such as the HW 25l, but they are limited to about 6 ft/lbs which is ok for paper punching, but inhumane for rabbits. By far the best you will get for them is an Air Arms S200, or even better is the T200 (target version) which has an adjustable length/height stock. They are a deadly accurate PCP designed for juniors and are full power which is ideal for bunnies. They are so good though, that the second hand value reflects this and a full set up may still cost you about 300-350 used. Try mine if you like.
    MS
    Has to be a .177 too!
    The T200 is only 6 ft/lbs afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    The T200 is only 6 ft/lbs afaik.
    They can be both I believe mate. it is marked on the side in Joules though and not ft/lbs. My lads was the 6 ft/lb version (8 Joules), but a quick tweak of the hammer spring and test on the chrono had it at 11.8 lbs with very little effort or mechanical expertise. They do a 16 Joule version as well.
    MS

I got my daughter her first air rifle last christmas, and if you look around on this site you'll probably find a my thread about it.

She's 11 years old, but very small - about the size of an 8-9 year old.

In the end we got a SMK springer in .177
    It was the only one that had a small enough stock and was easy for her to cock, and still looked like a decent rifle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00225.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	842.3 KB 
ID:	34254

Edit: I just checked the model, and it's an SMK15
    That's the one with smallest stock that they do. it was about 60 new, and came with scope.
    Last edited by VSS; 04-11-2013 at 19:51.

They can be both I believe mate. it is marked on the side in Joules though and not ft/lbs. My lads was the 6 ft/lb version (8 Joules), but a quick tweak of the hammer spring and test on the chrono had it at 11.8 lbs with very little effort or mechanical expertise. They do a 16 Joule version as well.
    MS
    I think they can be deristricted no problem but they are sold as a 10m target rifle which has a 6ft/lbs limit.

MS
    Has to be a .177 too!
    I will give you a shout when I get back from Kenya pal. I have kind of promised them one for Xmas lol