Thread: .243 or .243 winchester

.243 or .243 winchester

i applied for my FAc and put .243 on, is a 243 one and the same or different gun altogether,
    also if i get granted .243 do i have to resubmit for a .243w
    sory if theis seems a simple question.

I suspect you'll have no problem - it will be taken for granted that the FAC means .243 Win and not a wildcat version. If you nee to put your mind to rest just give the police FLO a quick call to confirm all is OK
    Mole

SD Regular
    The rules say that the calibre of the weapon must be specified and that is all.

Now this means that you can buy any 243. A 243 Winchester or a 243 Rockchucker or a 243 Winchester Super Short Magnum.

What you can't have...even though it is the same bullet...is a 6mm Remington or, by its other name, 244 Remington!

When you get into a variation for a "7mm" it gets even more fun especially if, as I do, you have a 280!

It's not a simple question mate as it doesn't really have a logical answer. For instance 308 is the same a 7.62mm, 30.06, 300 etc...
    Yes they all have different performances but so can rifles of the same calibre. Also, how can one be defined as a 'Military' calibre when it is metric but not when imperial, unless of course it is a different interpretation of the same size in imperial too!

SD Regular
    Also, how can one be defined as a 'Military' calibre when it is metric but not when imperial, unless of course it is a different interpretation of the same size in imperial too!

In France it is often misunderstood by visitors to the country who repeat the mantra that "rifles in military calibres are banned". In fact that is NOT what the law says and as a result the unwary can get themselves into potential trouble.

The laws prohibits arms that in a rough translation are capable of firing ammunition used in military weapons. So it doesn't matter if your rifle says 275 Rigby if it is capable of chambering 7x57 it is...illegal.

Ditto rifles in "improved" chamberings such as the 30-06 AI or the 303 Epps are illegal as most of these "improved" chamberings are designed to accept the original unmodified parent cartridge.

Hope this helps! This law incidentally dates from before World War II when the then French Government feared a right wing coup!

Another oddity is that arms must have any bayonet fitting ground off or so welded up that a bayonet cannot be fitted! Weird!

Lee-Enfields and 1903 Springfields are see in France with the barrel turned back to create a shortened chamber for a "stunted" French version of 303 (303 Short) and 30-06 (30-06 Sporting).

As the chamber is now too short to accept the parent normal 303 or 30-06 these are legal!

Even odder is that the rimmed 7 x 57 and rimmed 8 x 57 are legal...as is 307 Winchester! Indeed I've seen legal modified P'14 rifles that have a 308 chamber but retain the 303 bolt and marked "307 Winchester"!

Gelert: Don't make yourself out to be a total amateur over this and don't call the FLO he'll think your a idiot your application will go right out the window due to insufficient experience a .243 is a.243 nothing else as for the rest of the answers .

Why the complicated answers on .308s and or .762s one is metric the other is imperial ,how can you educate someone with answers like that, he was asking about a .243

Use the local gunsmith for information on weapons ,get hands on experence with a weapon when your asked by the FLO you can answer his questions at ease.

Bull **** can baffle brains, but the FLO knows what the script is

The Internet can be a great tool but can also have some complicated answers on subjects that no one is any the wiser about ,creating further problems , on these type of subjects it's wise to talk to someone about the issues face to face.

widows son,
    spot on just what i wanted, if i dont ask, i dont get,the whole reason i joined the forum.
    many more on the way cheers.