Thread: Thumbs up to Rick-O-Shea and Pheasent sniper 1[Amelia's prize Draw]

Thumbs up to Rick-O-Shea and Pheasent sniper 1[Amelia's prize Draw]

Where to start?
    Ok its Wednesday the day before I set off on a 250 mile drive to Somerset to meet with Jon (rick-o-shea). Its a lovely day outside the sun is shinning a pleasant 17 degrees and I am finding it hard to to keep my mind on work thinking about my forthcoming trip. I get home after work check my kit and get packed ready for the off in the morning.
    Thursday morning up early look out the window and its pi@@ing it down, great I though just my luck still it may be better down Jon's way. Well the weather wasn't the only problem the morning had for me, I got to the end of the M26 to join the M25 and you guessed it grid lock. The next 10 miles took 2 hours. So I get to my hotel drop the wife and the luggage off get changed and straight off to Jon's and just make our 3pm meeting. Quickly chuck my rifle and clobber in Jon's truck and we make our introductions on our way down to one of his permissions down in Dorset some 40 mins away.

Our first outing was a high seat in an area where not only Fallow and Sika can be found but also wild boar all of which were on the menu no Doe's though still out of season till the morning. The weather wasn't the best wet with an ever changing wind blowing all directions. I settled into the high seat while Jon went to a second seat at the other end to spot if any deer approached from behind me, a txt (phone on vibrate only) would alert me to look behind me. Unfortunately not a single show and we called it a night and headed back, on the way we pulled over in a few spots to have a quick shine of the lamp on some other fields to see if any deer were feeding in them a couple drew a blank but a 3rd had a group of Fallow feeding on the young wheat shoots near another of Jon's high seats "Bloody cheeky buggers " says Jon " that's the seat I'm guna put Terry and Matthew tomora" well you can read how they got on here http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...a-s-prize-Draw

Its 6am Friday morning 1st November the overnight rain has eased off as I pull up to Jon's place and we head off to try our luck on some Roe doe's in a private estate. We arrive just before 6:30 there are some young cattle in the paddock as we enterd the gates Jon says this is the only place they have any livestock so were good on the rest of the estate, we park up get kitted up and off we go, "unusual for there not to be any on the front lawn" says Jon. We slowly work our way around the tree line but the place is alive with pheasents as they have not yet had the shoot, its impossible to move any where without birds taking to flight and announcing our presence. Jon decides we will go to the other side of the estate away from the protesting birds. Working our way to the top of the hill we catch a glimpse of charlie as he scarpers off into the woods, a minuet later we see a group of roe that emidiatly get up and run along the skyline form our right to left I ready the sticks the rifle ready in the hopes they would stop on there run down the hill. Sure enough they do stop, I chech the group in the scope 4 does and one nice buck but unfortunatly he was seven and a half hours out of season. And there is no shot on the doe's no good back stop, I stood for a while hoping they would walk down another 20 feet or so for a shot to be on but no they decided to make a run for the lawn and stop some 250 yards from us. We decided to work our way back around the way we came out of sight of the group in the hope we could come in from the bottom and close the gap a bit. No chance the group broke into 2 directions a doe had stopped some 110 yards in front of us in an orchard, sticks up rifle up trigger squeezed but no reaction and no report bugger I bloody missed, I know it happens but most choose not to admit it well that was the only shot that presented that morning a little disappointed we headed back home.

Met up with Jon at 1pm and head off to The Sportsman Centre in Crewekerne to meet up with Pheasant Sniper (Terry) and seibassman7 (Matthew) then on to do a zero check and let Mathew put a few shots of Terry's 308 down range as he hasn't yet got hid rifle. We then headed back to Jon's Dorset ground dropped Terry and Matthew off at the high seat wished them luck and we headed for the same seat as Thursday eve. After an hour a group of 5 Fallow appeared in the field on the skyline high to my left, Jon had told me there usual pattern would be to enter Jons permission from that particular feild and work their way down hill from my left to right. I glassed the group 4 black and 1 white all youngsters and unsure of sex at that distance but all shootable as the females where now in season. I watched them awaiting the move across the boundary and the game to commence. But no they went in totally the opposite direction and were not to be seen for the rest of the evening, light now failing fast and to my far left a catch a shadow or was it a deer? glassed the area and sure enough a deer but what? I looked through the scope dropped the magnification down to let more light in but even with the swarovki Z6i cranked down to 2.5x sucked every available bit of light in i could not make appositive ID and didn't want to shoot and find i had taken a Roe buck out of season so I made the decision not to take the shot and let the shadowy silhouette slope off into the darkness. By this time Jon is sarting to feel sorry for me or it could be the fear of the barrage of ridiculing comments from his pals as 3 outings had equaled 3 blanks. Still at least Terry and Matthew had come good with a nice Fallow doe.

Saturday 6 am and my last chance before heading home, a little nearer to Jons this time and as we head to the stalk we planned a quike stop at a small piece of ground that often comes good. Jon spots a Doe on the hedge line as we drive down the lane we quietly stop get out and slowly approach the field gate, nothing the Doe had gone a glass of the field revealed a roe walking up the hedge to our left it was only a quick glimpse so I get myself in position and slowly peered round the hedge and would you believe it anther Roe buck and a good size Head too. Still while we were parked up Jon says we should try the other side of the road threw the orchard and the adjasent field. The orchsrd drew a blank but as we approached the field boundry headerow 2 roe doe in the field some 120 yards out, a perfect bipod shot i get down in the gateway get settled and 2 minuets later 2 Roe in the bag. "about bloody time" bellows Jon "I were starting to get worried that there's me telling you we got loads a deer round these parts and you hadn't got any"

So a very very big thankyou to Jon (Rick-o-Shea) for his generosity and kindness for donating these stalks for the days of hard work spotting and preparation he put in ready for my visit and he couldn't have tried harder to get me a shot, a shame the weather wasn't on our side but as we all know that's stalking. He has some cracking grounds in a lovely part of the country. I was also a pleasure to meet with Terry (pheasant snipper1) and Matthew (seibassman7). Sorry for the long read but Jon cramped so much into a few days ATB Shaun

Brilliant write up Shaun.

Was great to catch up and not long been off the phone with Jon who said what a great time we had both had meeting up with yourself and Matthew.

The weather was not great over the weekend and another good friend Andy ( Lakey ) ive just spoken to has just dumped his soggy gear at the doorstep after taking a deer with Jon this evening.

Im glad you got a couple mate and look forward to catching up again

Atb

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Hi Shaun

Glad you had as good a time as me. Jon and Terry were great hosts and it was a memorable stalk.

Kind regards

Matthew

Wow shaun what a read and many thanks for your kind words, jeeezzz what a few days that was three stalks and not a beast in the larder i must be losing my touch still we got there in the end with a nice doe and follower in the chiller and we had a good few laughs along the way.

I had put a lot of time in on the grounds before your visit spotting deer so we maximised our chances and things were looking very promising indeed with plenty of animals showing on most sites, well that was until the rain, gusting winds, fog, and mist turned up to give us another chalenge to contend with .
    Then to rub salt into the wounds terry and seibassman turn up to join us on our third stalk and within an hour they have a nice fallow doe lying on the deck the heaviest i have seen in a long time,you can go wright of some people lol.
    Not the easiest few days agreed but i am glad you enjoyed yourself and as they say thats stalking for you.
    I am still in the process of drying my kit out for the fourth day running as i have had lakey and a friend of his out this evening with both seeing deer despite the relentless downpour and lakey managing to grass a nice early fallow pricket from yes you guessed it the same seat we blanked in.
    All the best and keep in touch
    cheers jon

Great read!

Jon and Terry are true gents, and after a very kind invite from Jon to try for a fallow a few months back I gladly took him up on his kind offer last night.

Me and my friend Bert braved the increasingly inclement weather, and I struck gold with the opportune appearance of a fallow spiker heading towards the wood fairly early on. I didnt look a gift horse in the mouth for long, and was able to take advantage of a brief pause before the animal made the woods edge to the left of the seat at around 150 yds.

The .30-06 did its stuff, and although the deer lept into the wood at the shot,I was confident of the bullet placement. I caught up with it later, dead against a tree about 20 yards in.

Very Many thanks for the kind offer Jon, and both myself and Bert had a wonderful time in your company.

All the best

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Great read!

Jon and Terry are true gents, and after a very kind invite from Jon to try for a fallow a few months back I gladly took him up on his kind offer last night.

Me and my friend Bert braved the increasingly inclement weather, and I struck gold with the opportune appearance of a fallow spiker heading towards the wood fairly early on. I didnt look a gift horse in the mouth for long, and was able to take advantage of a brief pause before the animal made the woods edge to the left of the seat at around 150 yds.

The .30-06 did its stuff, and although the deer lept into the wood at the shot,I was confident of the bullet placement. I caught up with it later, dead against a tree about 20 yards in.

Very Many thanks for the kind offer Jon, and both myself and Bert had a wonderful time in your company.

All the best

Andy
    Glad to hear you had a successful outing, I know the seat well after 2 evenings in it lol.