Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Scarer for Vehicles

Deer Scarer for Vehicles

Someone was telling me today at the rugby about a device that is fitted to your car that emits a continual sound at a frequency that is meant to scare deer off the road away from approaching vehicles. I had never heard of this before, anyone on here aware of it???

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    They emit a whistle, highland industrial supplies sold them.
    Problem is if folk start using them the plod might start taking yer pistols!!! Hahah

seriously though I think they should be advertised more especially down South where deer collisions are becoming too frequent. Question is do they work on boar??????

Quote Originally Posted by monarman View Post
    They emit a whistle, highland industrial supplies sold them. Problem is if folk start using them the plod might start taking yer pistols!!! Hahah seriously though I think they should be advertised more especially down South where deer collisions are becoming too frequent. Question is do they work on boar??????

​still do we sell hundreds of the bloody things!!!

Brian, have a look at deer collisions project I think there is some info on there.

I saw a home made version once using a childs toy horn with the trumpet part reversed to form an air intake if that makes sense? It sort of worked but only at quite high speed.

Quote Originally Posted by monarman View Post
    They emit a whistle, highland industrial supplies sold them.
    Problem is if folk start using them the plod might start taking yer pistols!!! Hahah

seriously though I think they should be advertised more especially down South where deer collisions are becoming too frequent. Question is do they work on boar??????
    ha ha! good one!!!! But do they dispatch with sound waves as well then?????

So it's not a silent whistle as such then? I thought it would work similar to a dog scarer which we can't hear...

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    ha ha! good one!!!! But do they dispatch with sound waves as well then????? So it's not a silent whistle as such then? I thought it would work similar to a dog scarer which we can't hear...
    I've got a dog whistle that my dogs don't seem to be able to hear if thats any help!

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Someone was telling me today at the rugby about a device that is fitted to your car that emits a continual sound at a frequency that is meant to scare deer off the road away from approaching vehicles. I had never heard of this before, anyone on here aware of it???
    Deerwhistles Online Shop - Provided by Infohost Ltd

They have been sold in Scotland for years Brian .

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    I've got a dog whistle that my dogs don't seem to be able to hear if thats any help!
    ​he he! I remember getting a dog scarer electronic gadget thing and when driving through Edinburgh tried it out the car window on every dog I saw in the street. Needless to say not one reacted either!!!! Wouldn't rely on one if being attacked!!!!

Its a nice thought and i have seen them years ago in Poland on a lot of commercial people carriers. I had to travel to different parts of Poland for my work which meant travelling over a lot of provincial roads through woodland and marshes. The vans where fitted with a couple of different wind operated whistles to alarm animals for oncoming traffic. I asked the drivers if they do work?, they said NO ! They had more or less the same amount of accidents with animals (deer / boar) then before. During my travels i witnessed 3 near road collisions with a group of wild boar and some roe deer. (apart from 4 other near traffic related collisions because of the manner of driving of the Polish )

Brian finding a solid base on your old landy to attach it might be the problem.