Thread: open car insurance claim

open car insurance claim

Just a quick question about an "open" car insurance claim I have.

About 2 months ago someone clipped my car, I was stood next to it at the time. When I went to inspect the damage (I heard the bump) I was bombarded with verbal from a woman, who then gave me insurance details - it was a motability car.

When informing my insurance I stated as the damage was minimal I wanted to wait for the liability to be sorted before repairs so I wouldn't have to pay and then claim back my excess.
    Liability was sorted in days and was offered my repairs / coutesy car from THEIR insurance co.

I went with my insurance (Volkswagon ins co) though and had everything done.

Problem however is recently I have found out my renewal is extreme, because they still haven't received payment from the 3rd party!!

Now I am wondering where I stand, as liability is admitted. Why does them not paying up yet go down against me ?

And more importantly, do I need to tell a different insurance co about it if I switch ? The liability is not mine, why should I suffer because the compant hasn't paid up yet ?

My currently company said I can pay the cost for this year (4 grand, which I don't have) and I will get the difference back once they receive payment - but they couldn't tell me what the difference is ... Seems a bit of a joke to be honest

Appreciate any advice

Lloyd

Here's my take on it:

1. Insurance companies will do anything to get more money from you. You never win, even when it's not your fault at all.

2. This outrageous charge for your renewal is a direct result of the accident and the failure of the other insurance company to pay up. It looks as though you've already been in touch with them, having a hire car etc. Tell them this is another cost as a result of the accident and suggest they might be liable, so perhaps just invite them to finalise things and hopefully that'll be that.

Even so, four grand seems extremely extreme! I take it your no claims isn't protected, if you have any. Are you 17 and insuring a Ferrari? If your insurance company don't play ball, be sure to tell them they'll get no more of your business. Surely they know that the money is coming sooner or later.

No mate 23 and its a VW polo !! This is my first policy of my own as was on parents before and I have 0 no claims, furst years insurance was free but had a small bump that was my fault in March.

Without this "open" claim have been quoted 1200 elsewhere but not sure if I have to tell them that this claim is "open", as liability is sorted etc ...

Hi Lloyd,
    You seem to have had baptism of fire with regards to your motoring career!
    As already said, the insurance companies are out to make money and unfortunately for you, owing to your previous history, you are considered a high risk.
    Sorry I cannot offer any advice other than do not omit to tell them about your claims. You will most definitely be asked when looking for quotes and if you fail to disclose them, it will bite you in the ass. The Insurance companies all share information and the systems they use are improving al the time. Apart from the legalites, its just not worth it. I would embark on a programme of ensuring your current company get their finger out.
    Whether the insurance was "free" or not, they are obliged to provide you with a service.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthedug View Post
    Hi Lloyd,
    You seem to have had baptism of fire with regards to your motoring career!
    As already said, the insurance companies are out to make money and unfortunately for you, owing to your previous history, you are considered a high risk.
    Sorry I cannot offer any advice other than do not omit to tell them about your claims. You will most definitely be asked when looking for quotes and if you fail to disclose them, it will bite you in the ass. The Insurance companies all share information and the systems they use are improving al the time. Apart from the legalites, its just not worth it. I would embark on a programme of ensuring your current company get their finger out.
    Whether the insurance was "free" or not, they are obliged to provide you with a service.

Yes mate understand that. Just confused as to if I just declare it as a non fault claim that is sorted. Or do I specifically have to state its an "open" case. (Liability sorted, just waiting for payment)

I have had this

I nudged someone at lights, she started then stopped, I touch her, no visible damage, did not admit liability, 2 months later, here "colleague" calls.
    Car needs repairing. I said "sure", get a quote contact the insurers.
    He said "800"
    apparently the bumper was coming off and the side airbag had gone off destroying the seat.
    I said "oh really"
    quick call to my insurers and i informed them of the potential fraud and that if any claim was settled on my behalf i would see both them and the fraudster in court!

long story short, 8 months down the line the insurers ring me and say the claim is now 4700+VAT!!
    apparently they went ahead with the repair without taking any pictures, her "accident management company" provided her with a courtesy car for 28 days at a cost of 150 a day!!
    now I can hire a fecking Bentley Continental for a month for 3900!! she has a poxy polo

held my ground

but when it comes to my renewal I have an "open claim"
    in my case the claim was close to the 12m period that they have to settle in
    if they don't my insurers can close it forcibly

as it happened I went to another insurer as i needed it renewed
    They asked if I had a claim in the last 12 months. I told them "no", "no liable accidents and that nothing had been settled on my behalf" (worded carefully)
    You do not have a completed claim and cannot tell them you have.
    Open claims can run for over 12m and not be settled. they expect you to pay an increased premium based on an event that has not happened

I was renewed
    12m passed
    chased my old insurers to cancel the "open account"
    NCB intact

In your case, if they have admitted liability and the claim is open because they have not paid then your insurers need a rocket up them
    be brave.
    take your policy elsewhere but give the opportunity to sort it ASAP, they can remove the open claim from your quote and start a new quote rather than a renewal to keep your business.
    or they can lose it

​simples
    Last edited by bewsher500; 04-11-2013 at 09:07.