Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pricing a rifle?

Pricing a rifle?

I am about to put my .243 on the market to be replaced by a Parker-Enfield .303, in fact I have a buyer lined up already - he has already handled and fired the rifle and knows exactly how accurate it is. My problem is how do I price the .243 up fairly? Maybe if I describe it (As accurately as I possibly can) some members could give me an idea.
    The rifle is a Parker Hale P14, an oldish rifle admittedly but it has had quite a lot of work done on it by a professional gunsmith. It has had a new Satin Steel (Sporter) barrel fitted which has only seen about 500 shots through it from being fitted as a brand new barrel - The barrel was "run in" very carefully by me and cleaned regularly and it shoots sub 1" groups all day long without any real effort using either 58g V-Max or 70G Nosler ammunition, it will also comfortably fire Partizan 90g into about 25-30mm groups so can be fed quite cheaply if you don't want to home load for it!
    The rifle has been professionally glass bedded and the trigger has been "worked on" (By the gunsmith) to give it a nice crisp but fairly light action with no creep. This barrel has been professionally screw cut and comes complete with a custom built sound moderator and is fitted with a new (About 3 months old) set of Simmons Atec scopes with a removable sunshade. The rifle will also come with a Lee Reloader kit and about 100 rounds of ammunition and any test would be welcomed.
    The woodwork is solid and "cared for" but I have to say that there are a few marks on it mainly on the forend where the bipod has been fitted - You have to remember that this is a workhorse so not in as new condition, but I would hope that I can price it accordingly.
    All in all this is a complete package that is ready to go out and work for it's living but a bipod and sling is not included. I was hoping to ask around 425 for the complete package. Do you think that this is a reasonable sounding price for this package please? I have tried to describe it as accurately as possible so as not to misslead anyone.

Edit: I forgot to say that included in this "package" is a Flambeau Solid Rifle Security/Carrying Case!
    Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 04-11-2013 at 13:56. Reason: Additional information.

Can you post some photographs please Frenchie as without these anything would be a wild guess at best. No disrespects but you could be describing a gem of a rifle or an absolute dog with a newish barrel.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Can you post some photographs please Frenchie as without these anything would be a wild guess at best. No disrespects but you could be describing a gem of a rifle or an absolute dog with a newish barrel.
    I completely agree with you 8X57 mate and that is why I had already got my stuff together to go out and do a video (Including close ups of the marks on the woodwork) of the rifle and to show how it looks and how accurately it shoots (As long as I can shoot straight).

A photo of the rifle would help a lot here. P-H used more than one stock style but most were target types on the converted P-14/17 rifles they did .............................................. at least according to my catalogues.

Was the rifle marked Parker-Hale?

I ask simply because A.J. Parker were still offering these conversions up unto 1992 at least. Have their catalogue here with them listed dated Jan 92.

I would also guess that as it's using a rimless cartridge chances are they converted a US Rifle 1917 as they tend to be easier to get the feeding correct and of course the extractor is right. Using the P-14 requires more fiddling and a special longer clawed extractor for rimless cases.

Was a shame that A.J. Parkers kept so quiet about their sporting rifles on military actions as I would have bought one but I did not discover this until they had gone out of business. Another example of poor management.

Whoops back on track......................... the P-H converted P-14/17's don't seem to hold their value. BSA did a range of these from 1949-1953 and there are a few about. So I can appreciate your quandry here. Photos willl help no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    Parker Hale P14, a new Satin Steel (Sporter) barrel fitted which has only seen about 500 shots
    a custom built sound moderator and is fitted
    a set of Simmons Pro-Hunter scopes. (set?)
    a Lee Reloader kit and about 100 rounds of ammunition and any test would be welcomed.
    a Flambeau Solid Rifle Security/Carrying Case!
    all that for 425!?!?!?!?

mate you are giving that away
    2nd hand parker hales with original barrels are being sold at 250-450 in gunshops all round the country
    granted no-one in the right mind pays 450 for one but 300 is standard fare

yours has a new barrel
    a new mod
    a new scope
    case
    ammo

I would split the package or charge more personally

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    all that for 425!?!?!?!?

mate you are giving that away
    2nd hand parker hales with original barrels are being sold at 250-450 in gunshops all round the country
    granted no-one in the right mind pays 450 for one but 300 is standard fare

yours has a new barrel
    a new mod
    a new scope
    case
    ammo

I would split the package or charge more personally
    Ahhh bewsher whilst I agree with your thoughts one has to remember that this is not one of P-H's usual models it's not a model 1000, 1100, 1200 of even a Midland so pricing is rather more tricky here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Ahhh bewsher whilst I agree with your thoughts one has to remember that this is not one of P-H's usual models it's not a model 1000, 1100, 1200 of even a Midland so pricing is rather more tricky here.
    granted but if you account the cost of the other bits he is pricing the rifle with a new barrel at less than 200

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    P14 with a new barrel - ###
    a new mod - 100 minimum
    a new scope - 50
    Flight case - 50 minimum
    100+ rounds of ammo - 50 nominal figure

I have to make a correction here. The scope is mot the Pro-Hunter it is in fact the Simmons Atec complete with sunshade.

Ok Guys, here's a short video which will hopefully show the condition of the rifle without the possibility of me rating it higher than it really is. Please watch and then form your own opinions.
    Just hope the link works!