Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which calibers would be best

Which calibers would be best

Curently shoot on a farm with an air rifle, looking to Apply for a FAC to alow me to aquire a rifle looking for a .22LR for rabit and small pest species and there is a problem with foxes was thinking along the lines of a .223 for them

just wanted to get others views on this, eaven if this would be possible due to the calibers being so similar but with a big difference in power

also quantity of amunition what would be a realistic quantity to ask for in both calibers

im in the central scotland area covered by stirlingshire firearms and explosives licensing

Any advice would be well received

Look up Firearms Home Office guidance 2013 on google. It is all the info you will ever need on application for a firearm. As to suitability of calibers .22LR and .223 will do the job fine.

Sounds like a good choice in calibres for what you need to shoot. A .223 with the ability to stabilise bigger weight bullets (high twist rate) would also allow you to shoot Roe in Scotland. If deer are an option then consider a .243 for foxes.
    As to ammo for the rim fire I would recommend the maximum i.e. hold 750 and buy 500 as this way you tend to getter a better price. For the .223 you will need to hold less as they are expensive and you will probably only buy them in one or two boxes at a time. If however you plan to reload which I would recommend then you might want to apply for a holding of 250 and buying 200. If you are applying for the larger amount then do put a letter with your application saying you wish to home load and therefore need the ability to buy the bullet heads (which generally one in 100's).
    Good luck.

​BE

.17hmr would also work but it's a grey area for foxes.

.223 is a less controversial choice.

I thought about a .243 there are a lot of deer on my permission but the deer aren't causing any problems, its just the foxes, the farmer says im welcome to shoot anything on his land except the pheasants (he likes to watch them)
    I think when I do apply il go for a .223 CF and the choice now is between .22LR or .17HMR both look good, although the .22LR seems dirt cheap to run

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie-D View Post
    I thought about a .243 there are a lot of deer on my permission but the deer aren't causing any problems, its just the foxes, the farmer says im welcome to shoot anything on his land except the pheasants (he likes to watch them)
    I think when I do apply il go for a .223 CF and the choice now is between .22LR or .17HMR both look good, although the .22LR seems dirt cheap to run
    If you have chance of the stalking as well you should go for the .243.

A .17HMR would easily take care of rabbits and foxes. I have nailed foxes out to 100 mtrs using a 17gn hollow point. As Tackleberry suggests you would have to refer to the legal provisions (if any).
    22LR are relatively cheap in comparison to .17HMR as others have stated.
    My 2 cents...

If you are getting a .223 then a 22lr would seem a good companion, as you say cheap to run and effective. The .17HMR is great for long range bunnies but if you plan to eat them then then the .17 can be an issue. I have found bits of bullet all along the saddle once from a neck shot bunny. The other issue us cost as .17 ammo is getting close to .223 home load price.
    What you need is a crystal ball because if you are planning at any point in the future on shooting deer then a .243 would be a good investment. Combine this with a .17hmr or a 22lr you could have some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by High seat View Post
    If you have chance of the stalking as well you should go for the .243.
    I'd certainly second this - with .243 all eventualities are covered.
    "Jenkins! Chap over there with the wings - five rounds, rapid"

why not a 20-250 it seems to be incredible on such game