Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new rifle running in

new rifle running in

just bought a tikka t3 new how do you run it in some say clean it fire one round take it home and clean it others say fire one round have a cuppa then another round which way should i go any sugestions

advise seems to vary like mad. the way I went was 1 round ,clean 1,clean 1,clean 3,clean 3,clean 3,clean 5,clean 5,clean 10,clean 10,clean. sounds long winded cos it is, but if you google it there are even more extreme methods. good luck . pete

bartrums see what your saying would it be ok to do 1 round clean up to say 5 rounds in 1 day or spread over a period off days

Quote Originally Posted by smoker View Post
    bartrums see what your saying would it be ok to do 1 round clean up to say 5 rounds in 1 day or spread over a period off days
    Sorry to barge in but what's best to clean with ? Bore snake ?

i got a cleaning kit but i have no real idear would like to know this one my self

You are going to a lot of trouble after someone at the proof house put a huge test charge through your rifle, my advice is for the first 50 rounds dont get it too hot after that enjoy your new rifle.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

This has worked for me.....

http://www.border-barrels.com/articles/shoot-in.htm

Takes a while but it's been worth the effort on my rifles.......... why spend all that money for the sake of a short cut. But there are as many differences of opinion as there are riflesmiths.

Beware the bore-snake!
    Non-Hoppes ones have a reputation for snapping when they're half way up the barrel at which point it could become very expensive;
    They're not a substitute for proper cleaning. Although useful to dry any condensation or remove crud from a barrel.....some people remove the wire bristles;
    If you don't pull them straight out of the muzzle they have a reputation for spoiling the crown with the friction from the cord and buggering your accuracy. Which also results in extra expense.

Edit... I still use bore-foam but not for the 24hours soak... The tin says 15mins but I usually leave for an hour or two then run a bristle brush through and leave for another 20minutes. Then patch it clean.... which is usually 3 - 5 patches.

's me

atb

Fizz
    Last edited by fizzbangwhallop; 04-11-2013 at 19:36.

Quote Originally Posted by smoker View Post
    just bought a tikka t3 new how do you run it in some say clean it fire one round take it home and clean it others say fire one round have a cuppa then another round which way should i go any sugestions
    ​I wouldn't worry about it, the damage (if any) is done at the proof house!

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    You are going to a lot of trouble after someone at the proof house put a huge test charge through your rifle, my advice is for the first 50 rounds dont get it too hot after that enjoy your new rifle.

+1...no real point when it has already been shot/tested...I've never actually seen anything that is solid proof that shooting in a sporting off the shelf rifle makes any difference..

I did the whole process in 1 day. just let the barrel cool down after 3 rounds