Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home rearing lamb

Home rearing lamb

Hi

We have three lambs that are now ready for dispatching. Our shotgun licence won't be through for another 16 weeks and we wanted to have the lambs dispatched before they are a year old. Is there anyone in the Carmarthenshire/Newcastle Emlyn area who would be willing to come up and slaughter them for us?

Thanks

You could use a .22 if you have one

If I was closer I'd help you out , sorry but I couldn't help but notice , 16 weeks for a sgc ????
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

We had wanted to use a 10 4 in order to shoot at close range. We're new to home slaughtering and don't have anything that would work here

According to the paperwork, is this unusual?

I believe you mean a .410 , and yes that will work fine I'm just stunned your certificate will be so long coming
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

I rear about 1000 lambs a year , don't dispatch them with a shotgun , it's inhumane in most cases , messy and the meat will be crap it also will make your carcasses look somewhat barbaric . Have you got a holding number and uk flock number for your sheep ?

The only real tool for killing domestic animals is a captive bolt or a pistol , rifles are too clumsy . If you can prove your flock is legal I will put you on to a good meat processor near Newcastle .

I think she is talking about home slaughter and I imagine they plan on head shooting them so I dont imagine the meat will be too damaged!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    I rear about 1000 lambs a year , don't dispatch them with a shotgun , it's inhumane in most cases , messy and the meat will be crap it also will make your carcasses look somewhat barbaric . Have you got a holding number and uk flock number for your sheep ?

The only real tool for killing domestic animals is a captive bolt or a pistol , rifles are too clumsy . If you can prove your flock is legal I will put you on to a good meat processor near Newcastle .

Quote Originally Posted by sussex stalker View Post
    I think she is talking about home slaughter and I imagine they plan on head shooting them so I dont imagine the meat will be too damaged!!
    Obviously they are not familiar with firearms , I've dispatched hundreds of sheep and kno from my own mistakes that shooting sheep at point blank range with a .410 is dangerous to the user and quite often it will blow off jaws etc and not actually hit the brain . I use a 9mm captive bolt . It's designed to do the job properly , it's safe for the user , clean , and easy to get right .

Home slaughtering is not easy,you must have everything set up properly or its a nightmare.bleeding,skinning hanging and then geting rid of the skin etc,then butching them.Done all that!
    Much easier to get them done at the abatoir,not nice first few times but its all done right.
    Its important for them to be checked for relavent diseases etc even if for home consuption.