Home rearing lamb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amanda

Hi

We have three lambs that are now ready for dispatching. Our shotgun licence won't be through for another 16 weeks and we wanted to have the lambs dispatched before they are a year old. Is there anyone in the Carmarthenshire/Newcastle Emlyn area who would be willing to come up and slaughter them for us?

Thanks

If I was closer I'd help you out , sorry but I couldn't help but notice , 16 weeks for a sgc ????

We had wanted to use a 10 4 in order to shoot at close range. We're new to home slaughtering and don't have anything that would work here

I believe you mean a .410 , and yes that will work fine I'm just stunned your certificate will be so long coming

I rear about 1000 lambs a year , don't dispatch them with a shotgun , it's inhumane in most cases , messy and the meat will be crap it also will make your carcasses look somewhat barbaric . Have you got a holding number and uk flock number for your sheep ?

The only real tool for killing domestic animals is a captive bolt or a pistol , rifles are too clumsy . If you can prove your flock is legal I will put you on to a good meat processor near Newcastle .

I think she is talking about home slaughter and I imagine they plan on head shooting them so I dont imagine the meat will be too damaged!!
I rear about 1000 lambs a year , don't dispatch them with a shotgun , it's inhumane in most cases , messy and the meat will be crap it also will make your carcasses look somewhat barbaric . Have you got a holding number and uk flock number for your sheep ?

The only real tool for killing domestic animals is a captive bolt or a pistol , rifles are too clumsy . If you can prove your flock is legal I will put you on to a good meat processor near Newcastle .

I think she is talking about home slaughter and I imagine they plan on head shooting them so I dont imagine the meat will be too damaged!!

Obviously they are not familiar with firearms , I've dispatched hundreds of sheep and kno from my own mistakes that shooting sheep at point blank range with a .410 is dangerous to the user and quite often it will blow off jaws etc and not actually hit the brain . I use a 9mm captive bolt . It's designed to do the job properly , it's safe for the user , clean , and easy to get right .

Home slaughtering is not easy,you must have everything set up properly or its a nightmare.bleeding,skinning hanging and then geting rid of the skin etc,then butching them.Done all that!
Much easier to get them done at the abatoir,not nice first few times but its all done right.
Its important for them to be checked for relavent diseases etc even if for home consuption.

Home slaughtering is not easy,you must have everything set up properly or its a nightmare.bleeding,skinning hanging and then geting rid of the skin etc,then butching them.Done all that!
Much easier to get them done at the abatoir,not nice first few times but its all done right.
Its important for them to be checked for relavent diseases etc even if for home consuption.

Best advice you'll hear ^

with the lambs approaching a year old it's very important to get the spinal cord checked .

Thanks, and I am unfamiliar with firearms I am writing on behalf of my computer illiterate husband. We are taking advice from friends on the best way to go about this as its our first batch we really want a humane end for the sheep. What we need for the time being is for someone to come and dispatch them for us (will offer a fee obviously) fully legal flock, we can supply all the details for anyone who would be interested

Home slaughter using a .410 is absolutely fine. Humane, and no mess. Don't know what these other guys are talking about (and nor do they it seems!).
I do plenty that way. It really isn't difficult.
However, it's illegal to get someone to come onto your farm and do it for you, even if they're a licensed slaughterman.
(There is a loophole that allows you to use a shotgun on private premises without a licence, under the supervision of the owner of the gun, so if you know someone with a .410 and they're happy to supervise you then you can do it).

In the meantime, you'll just have to find the nearest abbattoir that'll do private kill.

I didn't realise u could still home slaugter lamb, i thought it was just pigs u could home slaughter.

Can mind as a boy going round farms and would have cows hang up on front end loader getting butchered in the shed or farm yard for the freezer. Changed days.

Amanda, PLEASE make an introduction on here first. You do not appear to have done so which really isn't on. Sorry to appear so abrupt but it is clearly written for all to see and this rule has been in place for some 4 or 5 years on this site.

Further more although this is a deer stalking and management site your request for help and information seems to have received a few helpful comments from our members. However I would STRONGLY advise you to take the advice from Andy ( ACM) who I know personally and he is a full time shepherd and runs the family farm not far from one of my major deer leases. Shepherding is his full time job and if you PM him I am sure he will give you sound advice and help.

But before you make a further post please put up an Introduction.

Last edited:
Thanks, and I am unfamiliar with firearms I am writing on behalf of my computer illiterate husband. We are taking advice from friends on the best way to go about this as its our first batch we really want a humane end for the sheep. What we need for the time being is for someone to come and dispatch them for us (will offer a fee obviously) fully legal flock, we can supply all the details for anyone who would be interested

It is illegal for anyone to do it for you,only the owner can do the whole process and then only the owner and occupants of their household can eat it,not friends or relatives.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back