Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ridgeline monsoon smock

ridgeline monsoon smock

Hi,

I just bought the ridgeline monsoon smock and roar trousers.

Does anyone else have trouble with sweating up in them and under clothing getting soaked?

Using them in conditions that were noit too bad the other day and became dangerously cold due to the under clothing getting soaked!

Yes I have the smock and find it too warm in all but the coldest days.

The trick for me was just to wear a single layer of "technical" clothing underneath. Something that wicks the moisture away. Anything else used to get wet and stay wet.

Quote Originally Posted by redandroe View Post
    Hi,

I just bought the ridgeline monsoon smock and roar trousers.

Does anyone else have trouble with sweating up in them and under clothing getting soaked?

Using them in conditions that were noit too bad the other day and became dangerously cold due to the under clothing getting soaked!

There is NO easy answer to this perennial problem. Anything waterproof no matter how expensive or
    'high-tech' the material is going to make you wet underneath. The trick is to select suitable under garments and 'layer' appropriately. Layers of Merino of different thickness do it for me. When you stop and remain motionless at least they keep you warm unlike polypropylene. Oh,- and you need to be able to predict weather/wind conditions at any given time on your foray plus amount and duration of uphill exercise. NOT easy.
    I think one is either a sweaty person or not. My 74 year old hill-farmer friend seems not to, and says he never has been, and I can't keep up with him on the hill. Me,-I break out into a sweat just looking at my wife's fresh lemon sponge pudding!
    Finally, I don't like smocks. You can't open a full length zip to ventilate, and if you've got knitted cuffs you're really bu66ered.

Suffolk [North; where the pines and pigs are]
    ...hilst I'm one of those people who breaks out in a sweat standing still...even when stripped down to racing weight. I agree entirely on layering...less is more

Hello
    Hello,

Good to see informative posts from people on this regarding wearing the correct undergarments when wearing breathable clothing.

I wear Endura Bah Bah base layers (a cycling brand for wearing under waterproof cycling jackets) and find it brilliant for wicking perspiration away.

Please see official manufacturer test reports on the Monsoon fabric which shows its breathability, and waterproof rating.

Of course it is not going to be as breathable as a top spec Harkila garment using Gore membranes, but it's not the price either.

Would nikwax make these more waterproof.

I use my Ridgeline Smock for sitting in high seats only I have never had any issues or problems as yet.

I have not used it for walk / stalk yet but will definitely take on the tips above if I ever do.

Its a good garment especially at the price!

Quote Originally Posted by PAULT View Post
    Would nikwax make these more waterproof.

Sorry, make what specifically more waterproof?