Thread: Reply From John Farmer

Reply From John Farmer

For some reason the original thread has been closed

Just to respond the the doubting thomas's it was a genuine request for advice.

We have over 100 acres which is grazed by cattle and cut for forage. We regularly see Roe deer in the fields & unfortunately fawns some end up in the mower. While we enjoy seeing a few they obviously can consume a lot of grass!

I have contacted some of the more local guys who sent pm's & hope we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement - some venison in exchange for culling a few deer seems fair. We don't think we have a huge problem but would prefer not to have the numbers increase - at the moment we regularly see 2 or 3 bounding through the fields.

Some very helpful replies have been received from people very kindly giving sensible advice and it will be taken on board - I wasn't aware that some people would have qualifications but had considered the risk factor - no footpaths over the farm but obviously letting someone loose with a gun bears consideration!

Many thanks for information and advice given

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Don't worry about the doubting Thomas', it's always the same on here.
    If it's just Roe you have and don't want the population to get any bigger then make sure whoever does it does a proper count and don't let them cull more than 1/3 in any 1 year. That way you'll always have deer, always have venison and maybe a little cash too. Have a chat with your new stalker and ask him to take you out too. You may just get the bug.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Account Suspended
    Amazing what you read on here,every time deer is mentioned people see pound signs it is sad really good luck john and well done on getting someone local in to sort it out for you

good luck john with who ever helps you

ATB

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by johnfarmer View Post
    For some reason the original thread has been closed

Just to respond the the doubting thomas's it was a genuine request for advice.

We have over 100 acres which is grazed by cattle and cut for forage. We regularly see Roe deer in the fields & unfortunately fawns some end up in the mower. While we enjoy seeing a few they obviously can consume a lot of grass!

I have contacted some of the more local guys who sent pm's & hope we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement - some venison in exchange for culling a few deer seems fair. We don't think we have a huge problem but would prefer not to have the numbers increase - at the moment we regularly see 2 or 3 bounding through the fields.

Some very helpful replies have been received from people very kindly giving sensible advice and it will be taken on board - I wasn't aware that some people would have qualifications but had considered the risk factor - no footpaths over the farm but obviously letting someone loose with a gun bears consideration!

Many thanks for information and advice given
    Hi John
    you could also call these two groups both will be able to help you out with professional advice and people who can sort out your problem
    www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk

www.bds.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    Don't worry about the doubting Thomas', it's always the same on here.
    If it's just Roe you have and don't want the population to get any bigger then make sure whoever does it does a proper count and don't let them cull more than 1/3 in any 1 year. That way you'll always have deer, always have venison and maybe a little cash too. Have a chat with your new stalker and ask him to take you out too. You may just get the bug.
    +1 on this...
    I bet you had a interesting pm inbox in the offering.
    if in doubt about anything ask away on here again if sus pious about anything and feel of being hoodwinked into anything ask away.