Special Forces Port

8x57

Distinguished Member
View attachment 34300

Back in July Monmouth & District rifle club along with the Stalking Directory site members held a fund raising event in aid of the H4H charity. The event was well supported with numerous very generous donations and when all monies were totalled up for this shoot and associated events it now looks like nearly £4,000 was raised for the charity. One of the donations was from the officer’s mess at Hereford and was a bottle of port wine bearing the label of the Special Air Service which raised some £200 when sold by auction.

Since then call it inter unit or inter service rivalry but two other site members have come out of deep cover or lowered their cloaks of secrecy and donated further bottles of port from their respective mobs to be auctioned or sold in aid of the H4H charity. As the one guy put it “I wondered how long it would be before the wobblies showed up”, wobbly boats or Special Boat Service in service vernacular.

The two bottles both bearing labels clearly indicating that they are from the other two premier less publicised or perhaps that should be more secretive British special forces regiments are from the previously mentioned Special Boat service, and from the Special Reconnaissance Regiment. The S.R.R. work closely with the other two organisations and according to the guy who donated the bottle is more special than the other two, but there again he would say that wouldn’t he.

My dilemma is how is the best way to use these hard to come by bottles of port to raise the maximum amount of money to add to the already tremendous amount that the site members have already raised for H4H this year. I therefore invite your suggestions. I always associate port with Christmas so bearing this in mind lets have your views now so that I can put things in place to get going by the start of next month.

View attachment 34301

Last edited:
Im sure the guys at the local airsoft club will pay good money. They like to tell stories.
Great find tho. I'm sure theres many people who would love that.

Now they are very cool.

Perhaps sell tickets for a raffle at maybe £2 a go doing separate lots for each bottle. Then pick a name out of a hat.

​No limit on the number of tickets someone can buy.

You might be right there James, I'm sure that some tall stories could be generated around these.

A raffle is one way of going about it filzee and is under consideration especially if we do it online so that gift aid could also be claimed back from the tax man.

How about you organise a Xmas rifle shoot at moNmouth
the winner recieves both bottles
the Tac should be here by then
they would look good on the mantle piece Xmas day:D
regards Pete

regards Pete

You don't say which Christmas Pete, I was hoping to sort it out this year. :stir: :evil:

regards Pete
you cannot be still be waiting for this tac by the time you get it its going to be an obsolete calibre . and im up for a shoot off ( only 1st scores to count not the best of your ten cards). but the best thing is for mike to raffle them
:rofl:

you cannot be still be waiting for this tac by the time you get it its going to be an obsolete calibre . and im up for a shoot off ( only 1st scores to count not the best of your ten cards). but the best thing is for mike to raffle them
:rofl:
i bloody hope not the money it's costing :eek:
I think you been building too many high seats for young Ben e boy
he's still sore over the beating he got that day he like you mentions about multiple cards
but as the saying goes you pays your money and takes your chance :D
Perhaps you can use local knowledge to your advantage if it goes to bisley next year ;)
​Regards pete

defo a raffle it would give everyone a chance then i respect all the auctions for variuos cause what the forum does but most are soon priced out of them but a raffle would keep a level playing field for all if done at a sensible price

A raffle is certainly looking the favourite so far but let's have some more suggestions to consider please.

8x57 wrote
"Since then call it inter unit or inter service rivalry but two other site members have come out of deep cover or lowered their cloaks of secrecy and donated further bottles of port from their respective mobs to be auctioned or sold in aid of the H4H charity. As the one guy put it “I wondered how long it would be before the wobblies showed up”, wobbly boats or Special Boat Service in service vernacular"

We always called the SB boys "shakies"

Yes my mistake it should have been shakies not wobblies.

Reminds me of when a pal went shopping for tiger formula to fend off the midges when stalking in the summer. What he was really after was Jungle formula. He got laughed out of a few shops. Or when the wife's elderly uncle was offered a blow dry in the multi sex hairdressers and he told everybody that they had offered him a blow job.

Last edited:
Roedinator was only joking as regards another shoot basil, it's certainly not an idea that I'm taking seriously. He's just dreaming about using some rifle that has been on his wish list for the last four or five years. :lol:

8x57 how about getting admin to tie it in with the Swazi jacket draw and everyone in the draw for the jacket pays a fiver if they win they get the Swazi and 2 bottles of port.
There are 271 posts on there so far, granted the odd extra from admin so knock it down to 260 that gets a lot of money for a good cause.
Provided people don't drop out because it's no longer a freebie.
cheers

dickie

Back