Anyone know about Wild West guns???

filzee

I have a collection of antique/obsolete caliber pistols which i have had for a few years now. They have always been something which i love and keep up on my wall.
Unfortunately times are very hard at the minute since i have been out of work for a couple of months and seem to be really struggling to get back into work. Every job i go for seems to want to take at least a month before they get back to you.

Because of this i am looking to sell probably one but maybe two just to keep me ticking over.

The problem i have is i don't have the foggiest as to what there actually worth and best place to sell them.

I have;
1860 Army Colt percussion pistol,
Remington Smoot
Colt "Roots" (i believe its called but might be wrong).

I have two other Colts, a Pepper Pot pistol, and a Belgian made Pocket pistol.

Any advice or expertise out there would be greatfully received.

I have pictures on my phone but can't get them on here.

Many Thanks

Phil

I have a collection of antique/obsolete caliber pistols which i have had for a few years now. They have always been something which i love and keep up on my wall.
Unfortunately times are very hard at the minute since i have been out of work for a couple of months and seem to be really struggling to get back into work. Every job i go for seems to want to take at least a month before they get back to you.

Because of this i am looking to sell probably one but maybe two just to keep me ticking over.

The problem i have is i don't have the foggiest as to what there actually worth and best place to sell them.

I have;
1860 Army Colt percussion pistol,
Remington Smoot
Colt "Roots" (i believe its called but might be wrong).

I have two other Colts, a Pepper Pot pistol, and a Belgian made Pocket pistol.

Any advice or expertise out there would be greatfully received.

I have pictures on my phone but can't get them on here.

Many Thanks

Phil

I can’t believe you have not had any feedback on this as there are loads of cowboys on here
:stir:

Are they originals, reproductions or repicas?

You are going to have to give more information and preferably pictures also filzee.

They are all originals. Some have engraving on them although quite faint. I think most are British Proofed as well but not really that sure of what im looking at.
If i could get my stupid phone to connect to my computer I would put some pictures up.

Buy gunmart magazine and look in the militaria Pete Holder list a colt 1855 root model 2 for £3,750 1860 for£2995, visit www.peteholder.com and see if he has your guns for sale, you could sitting on considerable money if original, not replicas, not deactivated, and with English prove marks, American pistols and rifles have gone through the roof over the last few years, hope you have a good result.:tiphat:deerwarden, wannabe cowboy with my Ulberti Winchester 1876 in Win 45-60.

Last edited:
Congrats on some great weapons... Sounds like you need to send them back home to the US..... let me give you an address...lol.... GLWS.....

Congrats on some great weapons... Sounds like you need to send them back home to the US..... let me give you an address...lol.... GLWS.....

Funny you should say that as i always wondered if they would be worth more taking them back "home" to sell them.

It was always my plan to keep these and use them to put down a deposit on a house. They didn't cost me anything as i was very kindly given them.
They also all have the right matching serial numbers which i think is supposed to be a good thing.

Unfortunately , the prices over here are not relevant to your market so I can't be of much help. That being said, the Colts , Remingtons and the Pepperbox (nice) would sell for quite a lot here, depending on condition of course. Knowing what the firearms prices are like in the UK , I can't see them being worth less over there.

To give you a rough idea, a working 1860 Army of any sort would set you back about 4 to 5 grand here. If it has some history or engraving it goes up from there, sometimes by quite a bit.

Sorry to hear of your circumstances and wish I could be more helpful.

AB

Yep, I think assuming they are original pieces there could be a lot of money tied up there. I think it would be a good idea to take them to one of the big auction houses and have them appraised. They may well be British guns in that makers such as Colt and Remington did sell them in other markets such as Europe and Australia and of course these will have local proof marks.

The advantage of auctioning them through a big auction house is that you'll also get interest from those international buyers.

Beware unscrupulous dealers of which there seem to be many in the antique firearms field. A friends was selling his dad's small collection and some dealers offered prices so low as to be insulting. Fenland Rural Sports was one.

Hi Phil,
I just signed up on this site today, don't know a lot about the pistols you have, but you could go to usedfirearmscanada.ca and I have seen a few old pistols on there, might give you an idea of pricing etc.
Regards, Rob

Hi, I am fairly experienced in collecting similar articles over a long period of time. My strong advice to you would be to contacts Holts the auctioneers in London, as they have regular firearms sales which are attended by all dealers and it is too big for the ringers to be involved, unlike some of the smaller houses. Holts will give you a free assessment and they have an International customer base. Good luck

Beware unscrupulous dealers of which there seem to be many in the antique firearms field. A friends was selling his dad's small collection and some dealers offered prices so low as to be insulting. Fenland Rural Sports was one.

this man will never get a single penny from me ever again for this reason.

Hi, I am fairly experienced in collecting similar articles over a long period of time. My strong advice to you would be to contacts Holts the auctioneers in London, as they have regular firearms sales which are attended by all dealers and it is too big for the ringers to be involved, unlike some of the smaller houses. Holts will give you a free assessment and they have an International customer base. Good luck

+1 think this is the best advise so far

Back