Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Max load hornady 6.5 data

  1. #1

    Max load hornady 6.5 data

    If you have a hornady reloading manual can you tell me what max load and expected velocity for 6.5x55 using viht n550, 140gr sst's?

  2. #2
    TB

    Using the Vit Reloading Guide Edition 9, it gives a max load of 42.1grains N550 with expected fps of 2644...

    Now, that is for an HPBT, but the max load for N160 is what HPS use for my 140gr SSTs, and I'm getting within 1% of the expected velocity, so I'd say this is pretty accurate for the SST

    Hope this helps?
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

  3. #3
    Thanks. The Lee data play it safe at 41.4. I have some Viht edition 7 that also has 42.1 so I will work up to it. I am averaging 2594 with 41.5 so I should imagine 2644 should be about right.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    If you have a hornady reloading manual can you tell me what max load and expected velocity for 6.5x55 using viht n550, 140gr sst's?
    The Hornady 8th Edition doesn't list a load for Viht N550, it does lists loads for N160 and N165. Nosler manual lists N560.
    Regards
    ​JCS

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    TB

    Using the Vit Reloading Guide Edition 9, it gives a max load of 42.1grains N550 with expected fps of 2644...

    Now, that is for an HPBT, but the max load for N160 is what HPS use for my 140gr SSTs, and I'm getting within 1% of the expected velocity, so I'd say this is pretty accurate for the SST

    Hope this helps?
    iain
    Out of interest what velocity are you getting with N160?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Out of interest what velocity are you getting with N160?
    I chrono'd a dozen rounds and the average was 2,660fps

    They ranged from 2,643 to 2,676 so only 0.62% in either direction, so not bad consistency!!

    I use HPS-TR as they've been doing this for yonks, and this is their recipe, so who am I to argue
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Similar Threads

  1. 6.5x55 Hornady SST 140gr load data
    By david1976 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30-03-2014, 08:45
  2. 22-250 40g v-max varget Load data
    By jonny.c in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 08:09
  3. Hornady Load data
    By new forest in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14-04-2012, 23:20
  4. Start and End load data for .308 Hornady A-Max 155gr
    By A J in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 17:10
  5. .223 40 grain V-max data required
    By kernel gadaffi in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 17-07-2010, 22:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •