removing moderator

Olly.243

Will removing my mod after shooting in the rain to clean the screw cut treads to stop rusting affect my zero when I reattach the mod
many thanks

Recommend to always remove your mod after shooting or storing for long periods to stop condensation between barrel and mod.

Will removing my mod after shooting in the rain to clean the screw cut treads to stop rusting affect my zero when I reattach the mod
many thanks

No it almost certainly won't affect zero.
leaving it on after shooting can cause corrosion to the bore though (something to do with corrosive gasses condensing in the mod).

many thanks
You should Allways remove your mod after shooting and store the gun with out the mod on
​mark

when mods first came out I left one on my old tikka for a year.
BIG Mistake it took a wrench to get it off
I was extremely lucky it came off without damage to the rifle
Now I always take it off and clean threads wipe them with oily rag

Recommend to always remove your mod after shooting or storing for long periods to stop condensation between barrel and mod.

Agree. I only attach the moderator when I've arrived at where I'm going to be stalking. When I finish stalking, I take the moderator off. Regards JCS

Agree. I only attach the moderator when I've arrived at where I'm going to be stalking. When I finish stalking, I take the moderator off. Regards JCS[/QUOTE

Yah, ditto, I always give the mod a SMALL squirt of wd40 into the muzzle end after taking it off if its had a shot through it as this will stop the corosive gasses from brewing away whilst its in the cabinet.
Never leave the mod attached on the rifle when its not in use, it will destroy your muzzel owing to the corosive gssses and condensation that will leach forth.

Regards, Olaf

Not sure if anyone else does this but I smear a film of gun grease over the barrel section that will be under the mod as its a T8 over barrel reflex type and apply some to the thread.

+1
use molly slip also remove mod to clean crown after each outing to save damage from rust or corrosion seen some good rifles shagged by rusted crowns due to leaving mods on . mods it T8 type small dash of wd40 and leave on rad to dry out with warm heat , will save you cash and rust damage in long run. won't change your zero unless you cross thread it back on :eek:

Last edited:
+1 - it shouldn't change your zero, but I would check. I often get my rifle wet and always take the mod off when home. I always use a bore snake for a quick clean / dry the rifle and that doesn't change my zero either, but a proper bore deep clean (after many rounds) does but I know by how much on the first shot, which helps. If in doubt check it.

Back