scope mount help....

daven

Hey folks...
anyone familiar with the Suhler Einhack Montage (SEM or claw mount) mounting system? I have them on my mauser 98 with a 6x42 scope that I don't want to get rid of.. But, I need a 1-? x scope for short distances in brush/drive hunts. My iron sight brainstorm didn't work out so good :rolleyes:.....

In a perfect world, I'd like to have a rail mount adapter to lock into my SEM mounts and mount my 1x scope permanent and just swap back and forth as needed.... Just haven't been able to find that perfect adapter.... Any tips on how to make this happen without spending the world would be appreciated.... Not worried about the scope itself, just the parts I need to have the ability to be able to switch.
Thanks, Dave

Daven I have a set of these mounts on my Chapuis, I like them a lot and think that they are very good. You could swap the scope for something like a 1.5-6x42 or you could get a picitinny rail that fits in the SEM mounts or even another set of rings that fit the existing mounts. There is also a mount that fits in just the one mount that accepts an adaptor plate for something like a Docter red dot sight.

Daven I have a set of these mounts on my Chapuis, I like them a lot and think that they are very good. You could swap the scope for something like a 1.5-6x42 or you could get a picitinny rail that fits in the SEM mounts or even another set of rings that fit the existing mounts. There is also a mount that fits in just the one mount that accepts an adaptor plate for something like a Docter red dot sight.

That's what I thought..... I work with a gunsmith that told me there is no such thing (or that it's not possible) so went to a gunshop and was told the same... Guess there's a whole lot more money in a complete swap than just a set of rings... I found a rail that will clamp in the SEM but it's well over 200 euro. Any chance you could point me to the rings that I would need? That would be much simpler I guess.... Tried a doctor sight once and didn't like it and have heard that them and the red dot ones are only good for <75 yards.... (??).... and don't know if it's true or not.... That is the way I would go if there was flexability in the range...
Thanks, Dave

Why don't you email the manufacturers and ask them if it's possible to buy a second pair of rings?
http://www.alanrhone.com/199.html suggests that numerous scopes can be mounted in the same bases.

I think that you are going to have to resign yourself to the fact that these are not cheap and that if you want to stay with this system you will have to pay the price otherwise it's a matter of replacing the whole system with something like a rail.

Who is the actual maker of your mounts?

Last edited:
You are probably right... Not sure the actual maker of the mounts... The money I'd save by not buying the rail adapter would be spent (and more) by going to a gunsmith and having things changed and easier than fooling around with mounts. Guess I'll just go that way and get a scout type scope to swap out... Or, buy another gun with a low power setup...... Always an excuse for another gun.....:rolleyes: If I could just see the iron sights, there'd be no problems.....
Thanks again...

Why a scout (extended eye relief) type scope? You will have to have an entirely different mounting system then half way down the barrel.

How about posting a picture of your rifle and scope so that people can see what the problem is, then perhaps they can come up with an economic workable solution.

Last edited:
Maybe scout scope was the wrong term? Anyway, here it is... Don't really want to give up the scope because I am happy with it (just not at close range)... Thing is, I think if I change to a rail setup, I wouldn't be able to keep this scope (fit rings to it)... Been reading on some American forums and folks are bragging about a ghost ring type sight for bad eyesight... If I could find one of them that would replace my existing rear sight, I'd go that way ... Areas I hunt in are either up close and brushy or open and clear to a couple hundred yards with no in between.... I appreciate the tips...

rifle.JPGsight.jpgsight1.jpgghost ring.jpg

So you have a scope with a rail, that complicates it slightly particularly if you want to keep that scope also. Probably the easiest solution then is to determine the make of the mounts you have and to buy either another set of rings to fit your new low powered scope or a picitinny type rail to fit the existing mounts. The rail option will raise your scope somewhat but your existing scope is already mounted quite high which tends to be the European way.

Your existing open sights seem quite useable for short range driven type shooting but you will need to get some practise in using these sights. You may have difficulty fitting an aperture (ghost ring) rear sight as your rear receiver bridge is already taken up with the existing claw mount.

only problem with the iron sights is the rear one... Everything else if fine... Maybe I should just wait til I have to wear glasses permanent instead of just for reading :rolleyes:... I'll keep looking and see what turns up... Never know when that adapter rail will turn up cheap on ebay.....

Thanks again...

Wearing glasses doesn't help :oops:
The ghost rings I like, and if you can find out what make your mounts are you may find you can get one to fit the rear base you have.

Neil. :)

Wearing glasses doesn't help :oops:
The ghost rings I like, and if you can find out what make your mounts are you may find you can get one to fit the rear base you have.

Can you point me to a site that I could look at/order from? I'll see what I can find on the system, but was told when I bought the gun that they were original Suhler.... If I could find the ring to clip on like you say, that would be perfect..

Thanks.

Can you point me to a site that I could look at/order from? I'll see what I can find on the system, but was told when I bought the gun that they were original Suhler.... If I could find the ring to clip on like you say, that would be perfect..

Thanks.

You will notice I said "if you find what make your mounts are" you may be able to get.....
So what make are they ?
Second option is getting a rifle smith to make a one off sight for you.

No name on them..... After this weekends hunt, I'll take it to the gunsmith I work with and see what he can offer.... maybe I should just get used to a doctor type sight and go that way......

Back