Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Registered bood business from home.

Registered bood business from home.

I am considering registering as a food business so that I can sell some of my prepared meat to family/friends and some work collegeues ect.

I have read the FSA guidelines and the best practice guidelines and I am happy with the requirments.
    The only thing that I am concerned about is the need for planning permission, business rates and the need to inform my mortgage company that I am operating a business from home.

Has any one else crossed these hurdles?

yes youll need to do all that plus insurance and public liability and probably planning opermisson as a change of use for turning your demestic kitchen in to an indutrail one
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Spud have you done this yourself?

In the process at the moment, as you will only be supplying family, friends and colleagues you will be ok just getting your facilities up to spec.

Facilities required are a separate handwash sink to larder sink, wipe clean walls and ceiling, HACCP plan and traceability and obviously approval from your local authority
    Last edited by PointBlank; 06-11-2013 at 22:51.

PointBlank - thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by scubadog View Post
    PointBlank - thanks for that.
    No problem, I have got a date with a load of PVC wall cladding and polyurethane adhesive tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    No problem, I have got a date with a load of PVC wall cladding and polyurethane adhesive tomorrow!
    Nice work!

Its very unlikely you will need planning permission, you will need what they call a 'certificate of lawfulness' from the council, then your normal inspection, then the difficult part, advising your current insurer, they will probably say 'not covered and won't cover' so ring the NFU, lastly its very unlikely you will attract business rates, but that decision will be down to you to argue out with the council
    Cheers
    Richard

It is also very likelly that your EHO will insist on an intermediate food hygiene certificate, also you will need to have in place disposal of hazardous waste.HACCP's,Public liability Insurance for a food business.Wash down regime,refrigeration records,waste water control,PPE etc,etc, etc..
    Are you sure you want to open this can of worms?

PS: I believe that if you are under 40 sq metres then you do not need planning.

Quote Originally Posted by scubadog View Post
    I am considering registering as a food business so that I can sell some of my prepared meat to family/friends and some work collegeues ect.

I have read the FSA guidelines and the best practice guidelines and I am happy with the requirments.
    The only thing that I am concerned about is the need for planning permission, business rates and the need to inform my mortgage company that I am operating a business from home.

Has any one else crossed these hurdles?
    I am a registered food business from home.
    However there are numerous exemptions under the primary producer and hunter regulations

speak to you local authority and explain EXACTLY what you intend to do.
    mine were very helpful