Stalker's Knife Set...

Stuart Mitchell

Please forgive the terrible photos, they were taken on someone else iPhone :rolleyes:

These were finished off yesterday and eaves for sheathing today, I thought some here might like a look...

Blade steel is 2.5mm stock RWL34, they are constructed with an almost full length but partial tang, no steel visible around the circumference of the handle...

The liners/infill pieces are G10 and the main scales are canvas Micarta...

Here are a couple of shots of how all fits together...

​Cheers al, Stu :)

Nice knives, very nice infact.

Two questions:

1. Are the tangs sealed into the scales ? Just wondering about goo getting in and being a hotbed of bug growth and..
2. How much ?

Thanks

FN

Nice knives, very nice infact.

Two questions:

1. Are the tangs sealed into the scales ? Just wondering about goo getting in and being a hotbed of bug growth and..
2. How much ?

Thanks

FN

Thank you...

Yes, all fully sealed with epoxy on every surface as all goes together

I'll drop you a PM with the cost, I'm not sure on forum rules on posting such here...

The in letting is very nice, very precise.
Hope you don't mind if I ask how that is done..maybe a Dremel?.

​I wouldn't blame you for keeping it a trade secret though :).

Very nice work.

The in letting is very nice, very precise.
Hope you don't mind if I ask how that is done..maybe a Dremel?.

​I wouldn't blame you for keeping it a trade secret though :).

Very nice work.

I don't mind at all, the orange section is simply cut and filed so the tang and it fit together before I epoxy it to the first scale...

Hi Stuart,

I have been really enjoying your threads, knives and photographs. I particularly like the green micarta handles. I understand what micarta generally is but I don't think I've ever handled it and pretty sure not on a hunting knife. I think of my knives as tools first and foremost but do take good care of them. Is there anything that I would particularly need to do every so often or anything I should never do to a micarta handled knife (eg dishwasher??)? I note that the handles are often blasted but are they naturally grippy and / or do you put epoxy all over the handle too? Apologies for all the questions, its obviously a very good handle material but I just would like to know if its suitable for me.

Thank you

​Foss

Very nice Stu. I gave a lot of thought to having the blade that way around on the skinning/gralloching knife when you made my set.

Hi Stuart,

I have been really enjoying your threads, knives and photographs. I particularly like the green micarta handles. I understand what micarta generally is but I don't think I've ever handled it and pretty sure not on a hunting knife. I think of my knives as tools first and foremost but do take good care of them. Is there anything that I would particularly need to do every so often or anything I should never do to a micarta handled knife (eg dishwasher??)? I note that the handles are often blasted but are they naturally grippy and / or do you put epoxy all over the handle too? Apologies for all the questions, its obviously a very good handle material but I just would like to know if its suitable for me.

Thank you

​Foss

Hi Foss, for this type of knife, in fact any knife that will see use, Micarta (or G10) in y opinion is the way forward, it is strong, very, and resistant to moisture ingress etc, all it requires is a good soapy water hand wash and a dry after use... I do know fellas who dishwasher their Micarta knives with no detriment to the MIcarta, knives and dishwashers are not a great combo in my book though, I am a knife maker though so would say that... There is a 'texture' through that material that can be brought out by polishing too so blasted is not the only way to go with it by any means, Micarta will also take a stunning flat polish as well, paper and linen grades are better for this, although you will still be able to see the grain from the laminations, less so with the paper, which just has a flat colour...

Very nice Stu. I gave a lot of thought to having the blade that way around on the skinning/gralloching knife when you made my set.

I had yours here when this set were commissioned, they were used as a guide with these new ones...

Very nice Stuart what's the blade length

As above, the Grallocher here has the same blade shape size as yours...

Very impressive

Thank you :)

Interesting development of the partner knife stu, look very much like he shape of the victorniox butchers knives. Maybe better for bleeding but lost a bit from previous incarnation for the skinning side I'd think.

Back