Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you get yours?

How did you get yours?

Hi all,
    As a newbie to the sport(?) I was just wondering what the 'norm' is for acquiring deer stalking. I.e:
    Do most people pay daily with one of the numerous companies I've seen offering this?
    Or do you pay a landowner for permission to take deer on his land whenever you want on a monthly/ yearly/ whatever basis? If so then is this in syndicates, and how much would you expect to pay?
    Or do you simply ask around like you would with 'ordinary' permission for rabbits or the like and hope somebody says yes?
    Sorry for what is probably a silly question, but as an outsider I have no real idea of how one goes about getting opportunities to stalk. Cheers!

There's no simple answer, to be honest all of the above.
    Knock on doors and if you get some free permission fantastic
    Payed stalks can be good but could get expensive when you add up travel, stalk, cull fee, trophy fee, then buy the venison that you shot! This can vary with different outfits.
    A syndicate could be good but again can vary on expense, travel, what deer are on the ground, size of ground, how many times a year you can attend (other members share dates), do you have to buy venison at game dealer rates or do you keep what you shoot? Is there a limit on number of visits or deer you can shoot?
    Which ever way you go I wish you the best of luck
    Wingy

Welcome Simon,
    Where and what do you shoot currently and how long for? I get on well with the farm manager where I've been doing pest control and kept badgering him until he let me shoot some munties for the freezer just to shut me up, lol!! Doing the DSC1 helped there and also with me getting a DMG place locally, which I would not have got without it. I know it's not everyones cup of tea but as a noob stalker I'd suggest doing the DSC1 for starters as it will show a level of knowledge when you approach people and you also learn a lot about deer and stalking.

Good luck with it mate,

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

To be honest I was very lucky my best mate is a pro stalker and got me on his ground with him a lot of it is free but we do pay a small fee for some of it per annum , that said its surprising how many farms aren't stalked at all ! I'd suggest having a knock on some doors and asking ( don't turn up in camo ) we recently got an extra 300 acres just by asking a neighboring farmer to one of our boundaries all for free so you never know your luck
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Hi all,
    As a newbie to the sport(?) I was just wondering what the 'norm' is for acquiring deer stalking. I.e:
    Do most people pay daily with one of the numerous companies I've seen offering this?
    Or do you pay a landowner for permission to take deer on his land whenever you want on a monthly/ yearly/ whatever basis? If so then is this in syndicates, and how much would you expect to pay?
    Or do you simply ask around like you would with 'ordinary' permission for rabbits or the like and hope somebody says yes?
    Sorry for what is probably a silly question, but as an outsider I have no real idea of how one goes about getting opportunities to stalk. Cheers!
    As a potential newbie this is a very good question and I will be reading the responses with interest. Thanks SimpleSimon

Of course, there is a strong vested interest in NOT revealing the best ways to go about getting ground. Or, indeed, to actively misinform.

I speak as someone who has just lost ground to the rich and unscrupulous.

Thanks for all the advice so far folks.
    Stratts, I don't currently have any permission where I am at the moment. I've previously only airgunned for rats, but I used cadet rifles extensively when I was younger (.22lr and 5.56 NATO) at the range. My father-in-law and brother-in-law are both members/coaches at a local rifle club, so my first plan is probably to join up there and start the ball rolling on my FAC. My wife knows a couple of local landowners, so she might be able to at least get me some bunny shooting.
    Would members recommend doing DSC1 as a newcomer, or maybe getting a few days guided stalking first and then go for DSC once I've had some experience?

I'm not normally a huge fan of the dsc level 1 except in the circumstances you describe , as a complete newcomer to the sport I think it will benefit you
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

In summary, you need to meet folk that stalk face to face. So join any organisations that facilitate that. My Dad told me to join the BDS and do my DSC I. From that opportunities slowly emerged. I've also joined a rifle club, BASC, SGA and a pheasant syndicate. I try and take paid days out somewhere new at least once a year.

It's a slow process.

Good luck.

​JCS

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Of course, there is a strong vested interest in NOT revealing the best ways to go about getting ground. Or, indeed, to actively misinform.

I speak as someone who has just lost ground to the rich and unscrupulous.
    Different country, but people are people wherever you go.... I just started this year after a 25 year break and am in a whole new world than back then when it comes to getting permission etc.... I've found hunters today to be pretty much just flat out snobby in just about every area related to the sport... I made notes with my contact info and expressed an interest to help out around the lease and with the pigs/varmints, put them in clear plastic bags (laminated some) and put them on stands in ares where pig damage is high and on a couple hunter meeting shacks.... I have been invited on 4 drive hunts so far... All by older folks (60+) ... Younger ones won't give you the time of day... Been hunting land that belongs to the city and a big training area pretty regular and have been offered a 110 hectare lease there that I may take, if I don't find anything else... Really don't want the responsability that comes with having any other lease (pay for crop damage, get calls 24/7 anytime someone sees an animal that don't look right, animal hit on a road, you get called, etc.... The place that has been offered has no strings except a kill plan that you have to meet (7 deer) each year.... Stands are all built/repaired by the forestry folks and you don't have to worry about selling meat... Just kill, dress, and hang in the cooler with your info on it.If you want the meat yourself, you have to pay for it, but the heart, liver, and trophy is yours...
    Good luck