.222 or .223

Konnari

Hi fellas,
I just can’t decide between those two cartridges.....I’m not interested in a fast twist .223 because I have other stuff for long range shooting. So I’m thinking a .222 or a .223 (12” twist) for Fox shooting out to 250m and lots of paper punching ! I always hear about the accuracy potentials of .222 but in identical rifles let’s say a Sako 85 Varmint....will I notice a difference between the .222 and .223 ? I had a nice Sako 75 Varmint some years ago and I sold it which was the dumbest thing I have ever done....that rifle was my most accurate rifle !!! So now I’m hoping to correct this mistake and buy a new Varmint rifle...

If you are happy to max out at 55gr, I personally would have the 222 every single time. It is just the perfect round. Mine is the last rifle I will ever give up.

That said, for all practical purposes the 223 will do just as well, I just prefer the 222.

Ditto. I have a .222 because I like it, but absolutely your choice. If you Sako was a .222 go there again!! Enjoy. Martyn

I have both my 223 is a 1 in 9 my 222 a 1 in 14 they both shoot really well but my 222 is my go too rifle

​Rick

Last edited:
If you are happy to max out at 55gr, I personally would have the 222 every single time. It is just the perfect round. Mine is the last rifle I will ever give up.

That said, for all practical purposes the 223 will do just as well, I just prefer the 222.

+1 The .222 has a charm that the others lack.

and lots of paper punching

Depends if it is just you in a field or if you fancy competing in F/TR

I can use 60gr in my .222 but the idea of shooting 75gr+ appeals, especially if it is longer range targets.

That said, I do love the .222, cheap to load, joy to shoot, foxes hate it

I have owned both, and for reasons I struggle to explain I would choose the
..222 every time, it's just such a sweet cartridge ... The vast majority of 222's
are 1-14 twist and wont stabilise much more than a 55 grain bullet...although as per above there are exceptions as Ed has said. You will struggle to load a recipe that won't shoot well ..

My .223 was just ok, not sure what it was, I just didn't lust for it the same.
It promised a lot ... But it was less accurate, louder, greedier and just lacked something.

The 222 for me !!!

Last edited:
Ok - who makes a good left handed 222. I know there are plenty of old Right handed Brno Foxes out there and the CZ 527 is allegidly available in left hand in 223. (and no a right handed 222 is not good enough - i will let any right hander try my lefthanded Heym and they will soon understand the cack handiness of the bolt on the wrong side).

Mungo - yes but why would I want an action that take a 300 win mag, when the 222 is such a tiny wee cartridge - simething more along the lines of this would do nicely - and yes I did look at it, but wrong calibre - Cookie Not Accepted : Holts Auctioneers

Full Details for Lot 1209

toolbarBackground.png
toolbarLogo.png
toolbarExpandUp.png
toolbarExpandOver.png
toolbarExpandDown.png

0-0-0.jpg

Sale A1070 Lot 1209
DANL. FRASER & CO.
A .22 HORNET SINGLE-BARRELLED FALLING-BLOCK SPORTING RIFLE, serial no. F169,
cat. no. 4688, 24in. browned nitro octagonal to round barrel with block mounted open sights and two folding leaf sights, ramp-mounted bead fore-sight, the breech end engraved 'ARMI SAN MARCO. CAL. .22 HORNET', and also with the Danl. Fraser Black Isle Scotland address, colour-hardened action with gold line detailing and bouquet and scroll engraving, manual tang safety, 14 1/4in. pistolgrip stock with cheekpiece and wooden buttplate, weight 4lb. 12oz.

Please refer to terms and conditions for commission and shipping information. Please click HERE to view Terms & Conditions.

Estimate £300-500

S1
Jump to Lot :
Back
Tel: +44 (0)1485 542822
email: enquiries@holtsauctioneers.com

I just got a 222 and it really is a delight to shoot, its hard to understand why people say its on its way out when you read so many good comments about the round.

Mungo - yes but why would I want an action that take a 300 win mag, when the 222 is such a tiny wee cartridge

What - and not be amazed at Tikka's genius for cost cutting and standardisation every time you went out?

Much as I love my .222, I would so love one in a true minature action.

Mungo - yes but why would I want an action that take a 300 win mag, when the 222 is such a tiny wee cartridge - simething more along the lines of this would do nicely - and yes I did look at it, but wrong calibre - Cookie Not Accepted : Holts Auctioneers

Full Details for Lot 1209

toolbarBackground.png
toolbarLogo.png
toolbarExpandUp.png
toolbarExpandOver.png
toolbarExpandDown.png

0-0-0.jpg

Sale A1070 Lot 1209
DANL. FRASER & CO.
A .22 HORNET SINGLE-BARRELLED FALLING-BLOCK SPORTING RIFLE, serial no. F169,
cat. no. 4688, 24in. browned nitro octagonal to round barrel with block mounted open sights and two folding leaf sights, ramp-mounted bead fore-sight, the breech end engraved 'ARMI SAN MARCO. CAL. .22 HORNET', and also with the Danl. Fraser Black Isle Scotland address, colour-hardened action with gold line detailing and bouquet and scroll engraving, manual tang safety, 14 1/4in. pistolgrip stock with cheekpiece and wooden buttplate, weight 4lb. 12oz.

Please refer to terms and conditions for commission and shipping information. Please click HERE to view Terms & Conditions.

Estimate £300-500

S1
Jump to Lot :
Back
Tel: +44 (0)1485 542822
email: enquiries@holtsauctioneers.com

That is a beautiful looking rifle Heym :eek:

I have 2 .222s and half a dozen .233s from bolt action, straight pulls and semi autos. They are good fun in semi auto but neither calibre does it for me as I struggles to get sub MOA accuracy from either calibre. Having hears the .222 was one of the most accurate rounds in its day I was disappointed with the results that I received using a variety of different ammunition brands. I am now a huge fan of the 22-250 as it is a tack driver and would pick that up anyday over either calibre. Perhaps I was unfortunate.

I have a Tikka 595 in .222

Also have sakos in 243 and 308 and the 444 Marlin, as much fun as it is to use the Marlin, the .222 is my 'gun to go' as it's fabulously accurate with every load I've tried, up to 60gr Sierra hp's. It's a great gun to load for, to use, and if I miss, it's me.
I had a browning x-bolt in .223, hated it, never was happy with the inaccuracy, was so load fussy that a load developed in spring was rubbish on a warm day. Then when it expired, I was kinda pleased it freed up a slot that I could fill with a decent shooter, thus the tikka ;)

Pete

but neither calibre does it for me as I struggles to get sub MOA accuracy from either calibre. Perhaps I was unfortunate.

Definitely unfortunate
even I managed to load sub moa with a lee loader

​semi auto .222 would be awesome !

As I lay my head down to rest in the evenings and am given time to reflect on the trials of life, falling into my slumber, I am gripped by the feeling of loss and longing for my beloved ....Tikka 590 L/H In 222 Remington, alas she will now be on the arm of another man, though I shall look out for her and see her sometimes among the crowd, It Is not her but someone who looks a little like her, hopefully We will meet again, though probably better If we don't... Then again If I can find a 222 barrel for my sauer I can slowly begin to rebuild my life.....From tales of loss & longing, ongoing!

Would this be a good point to mention that I have a lovely Sako 75 in .222 rem for sale? I'll find it in the classified and bring it back to the top.

Back