Thread: Dog eating mud. Why?

Dog eating mud. Why?

Anybody got any ideas on this one or have a dog that does similar?
    I have 2 Weimaraner's a dog at 7 1/2 years old and a bitch at 6 years old.
    They both live, eat, sleep, exercise & work together. They are both treated the same & fed the same food, wormed and flea/tic treated regularly.
    This time of year the bitch develops an appetite for mud, it seems the more rotting leaves in it the better, but any thick mud will do. She grabs at mouthfuls and swallows it.
    It never seems to have any effect on her, her poo is unchanged and it doesn't make her sick. It doesn't seem to relate to anything eg coming into season, and if she's missing something in her diet why does the dog not eat mud?
    unless you can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt, it wasn't me. If you can prove it then you must be mistaken

just may be like labs eat grass ! or i found you this my old girl would eat goose crap ?

1. The Nutro Company : Natural Pet Food Company Brands — NUTRO ...

The Nutro Company is a natural pet food company that makes healthy, nutritious, natural foods with added vitamins, minerals and other nutrients for your dogs and cats.
      www.nutro.com:

There are lots of theories as so why dogs eat inedibles.
      Vitamin/mineral deficiency, puppy-mill lineage, etc.

It basically is still debatable, ... I have a well-fed dog who gobbles up cat crap every chance he gets!

Some say Brewer's Yeast, supplements etc. will stop depraved appetites.
      I've tried,.. not successful with.

some dogs eat dirt and mud due to lack of minerals .

Does it follow a cycle and has she been neutered?

If not it could follow her natural cycle and be a part in her seasons, where she feels deficient in some minerals or another. Just like other mammals (and I am assured why women have cravings for certain types of taste during pregnancy).

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burpster View Post
    Does it follow a cycle and has she been neutered?

If not it could follow her natural cycle and be a part in her seasons, where she feels deficient in some minerals or another. Just like other mammals (and I am assured why women have cravings for certain types of taste during pregnancy).

Just a thought.
    No she hasn't been neutered but it just seems to be this time of year when it's raining a lot and there's rotting leaves in the mud she usually comes into season about May / June and doesn't bother then (could be it's usually dry and no fallen leaves?)
    Then again November / December