Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting and Drinking Water Supply

Shooting and Drinking Water Supply

May have an opportunity to control geese with 22lr over a lake; rounds to enter earthen backstops not into water (or thats the plan ) ; however the lake is a drinking water supply controlled by Southern Water

Before I make a complete 'ar$e' of myself, how do I stand? and is there any hope of getting this permission ?

Anyone got experience of similar situation ?

thanks in advance

TOMSK

Hmmm tricky one.
    Technically lead "shot" would be prohibited in this situation. http://www.basc.org.uk//en/departmen...nlead-shot.cfm
    Obviously a .22lr is not shot but the principle is the same.
    From the water companys view the fact it is drinking water should not make much difference considering the large amount of lead pipe still used.

a .22 on geese and on water... all I can say is rather you than me. But as said before technically its wetland( kind of!!!)

Funnily enough I may be in a similar situation soon controlling mallards and also wondered what the legalities of lead would be as I'd be shooting them on the grass surrounding the lake. Would this still count as inland wild fowling?

I've read previously on this site Tomsk that a .22 centrefire is the recommended calibre for controlling geese with a rifle. Not sure where this came from, DEFRA perhaps.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

If the drinking water lake is owned and controlled by Southern Water they will make a risk assessment before any permission would be granted. If it was owned by the Water Company I work for you would have NO chance. Just the firearm itself would be an instant No without even looking at a contamination assessment.

Any information to be gleamed from this? http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...p/t-22453.html
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

try and find some lead free like .22 Magnum CCI Lead Free rimfire ammo or winchester do them as well , might help keep the anti's off your back if they come sniffin feller
    Last edited by paul o'; 07-11-2013 at 17:56.

I think recommendation for geese with centre fire is .223. That said I've just been authorised by Natural England to use 17 HMR for cormorants. That's shooting them on the water (not drinking) difficult one but .22 would not be my choice in this scenario, do you have any other options?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    I think recommendation for geese with centre fire is .223. That said I've just been authorised by Natural England to use 17 HMR for cormorants. That's shooting them on the water (not drinking) difficult one but .22 would not be my choice in this scenario, do you have any other options?
    Reading the posts and having put out some feelers its going to be 'a cold day in hell' before anyone is granted permissios as the Water compnay concerned will most likely say 'nien !' - I believe that was mentioned in one of the replies as a likely outcome. Thx : its comfirmed

I could shoot 17HMR ( Wingy ); but given the close range ~ 30/40 metres either would be suitable in this case.

Pity - I was looking forward to some free geese for Xmas !!

TOMSK