Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x56 Mannlicher,anyone shoot this round ?

8x56 Mannlicher,anyone shoot this round ?

To expand on this a friend bought a Mauser 8x56 in Holts or somewhere similar thinking it was a typo error and no it isn't ! 8x56 Mannlicher is tastefully engraved in gold on the octagonal running into round barrel.

Anybody use this round ? what we really need is a source of ammunition and it seems about as rare as rocking horse ****.

I had a Model 95/30 Mannlicher straight pull bolt a few years back in 8X56r, it came with two en bloc clips and about sixty rounds of ammo.I'm not sure if this is the same round though. I shot the ammo, so so accuracy but it was surplus of unknown age, looked around unsuccessfully for more and then sold it. This limited experience hardly qualifies me to give an opinion, but the rifle was interesting and it is a reasonably powerful round. I can't remember the exact bullet weight ( 200 + ? ) but there is some factory ammo still being produced. Hornady lists it and I think Sellier & Bellot offers at least one loading. The ammo is difficult to find but the en bloc clips are even harder . Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

AB
    Last edited by alberta boy; 08-11-2013 at 04:00.

PM and I know of a possible source.

Prvi also seem to make it - Graf Sons - PRVI BRASS 8x56R MODEL 95 HUNG. MANN. UNPRM 100/BAG. When I got my 7x65R a few years ago I ended up speaking with the gunmaker who built it in Ferlach Austria - Peter Hambrusch - Hambrusch Hunting Weapons - Jagdwaffen Ferlach - Used Guns - Barrels - Gebrauchtwaffen and a credit card transaction later I had a set of dies 60 new RWS cases in the post to me. They arrived three days later, along with loading data. Henry Krank is I think the UK importer of Prvi Ammo, or may be worth going straight to them in the Czech republic. Holts auction also has a cartridge section in its sales - well worth keeping an eye on and putting in a good bid.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 08-11-2013 at 12:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Sika98k View Post
    To expand on this a friend bought a Mauser 8x56 in Holts or somewhere similar thinking it was a typo error and no it isn't ! 8x56 Mannlicher is tastefully engraved in gold on the octagonal running into round barrel.

Anybody use this round ? what we really need is a source of ammunition and it seems about as rare as rocking horse ****.
    The cartridge designation is 8x56R Mannlicher ... sometimes called 8x56RS. I've just spoken to Matthew @ Henry Krank (Leeds) on another query, and asked about it. They only have one offering in FMJ (link below), but the cases can be reu-used. They're strong & reloadable..... the few cases I've got are 'surplus' stuff which isn't.

8x56 RS Manl FMJ BT 208gr PPU Rifle Ammunition Pac [A384] - 76.00 : Henry Krank, Everything for shooters and collectors

They have this in stock in Prvi Partisan (PPU) as they're the UK importers. This brand is fast becoming the only source of ammunition for old calibres, so you're unlikely to find it in Eire.

ATB
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    PM and I know of a possible source.

Prvi also seem to make it - Graf Sons - PRVI BRASS 8x56R MODEL 95 HUNG. MANN. UNPRM 100/BAG. When I got my 7x65R a few years ago I ended up speaking with the gunmaker who built it in Ferlach Austria - Peter Hambrusch - Hambrusch Hunting Weapons - Jagdwaffen Ferlach - Used Guns - Barrels - Gebrauchtwaffen and a credit card transaction later I had a set of dies 60 new RWS cases in the post to me. They arrived three days later, along with loading data. Henry Krank is I think the UK importer of Prvi Ammo, or may be worth going straight to them in the Czech republic. Holts auction also has a cartridge section in its sales - well worth keeping an eye on and putting in a good bid.
    If I remember correctly, Hornady gets Graf and Sons to load their 8X56 ammo and other european calibers.

AB

No lads, it's not the 8x56R cartridge. The 8x56 Mannlicher Shonauer is a rimless sporting cartridge. Let me have a look in CotW and my guide to cartridge conversions and I'll get back to you.
    Apparently you need to find cases for 9.3x57 to convert, which are just as rare as the cases you'd be trying to form. Looking at the dimensions though, you might get away with using 7 or 8mmx57 cases as there's only a couple of thou difference in the head measurements.
    The good news is that it uses the standard size .323" bullets rather than the hard to find .330 bullets of the 8x56R.
    Last edited by Harry mac; 09-11-2013 at 00:32. Reason: reference book break.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    No lads, it's not the 8x56R cartridge. The 8x56 Mannlicher Shonauer is a rimless sporting cartridge. Let me have a look in CotW and my guide to cartridge conversions and I'll get back to you.
    Apparently you need to find cases for 9.3x57 to convert, which are just as rare as the cases you'd be trying to form. Looking at the dimensions though, you might get away with using 7 or 8mmx57 cases as there's only a couple of thou difference in the head measurements.
    The good news is that it uses the standard size .323" bullets rather than the hard to find .330 bullets of the 8x56R.
    Right you are ! I looked it up in my COTW. Thats what happens when you assume things lol. Looks like it would make a handy deer round.

AB

Thanks guys for your contributions and help. It is an oddball round all right. I had clocked that it and the 8x56r were 2 different cases. Must have a look at Hornady,s site and see what they have.
    Atb,Sika

If it's an 8x56 Mannlicher then it's the model 1908 I believe the model 1910 in the 9x56 if I recall correctly so they are of the Schoenauer family.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    Now that the round's identified the problem will be finding ammo anywhere. My RWS 'Wiederladen' manual (1988) says that Dynamit-Nobel couldn't source any cases for it, so reformed the very close 8x57 JS Mauser for load testing. Hope this helps, assuming you can find reloading dies.

It does make you wonder why Mannlicher decided to introduce their own cartridge, and chamber their fusil for it .... unless the standard rounds wouldn't feed properly.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.