Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel twist

Barrel twist

Can someone explain to me a bit about twist rates please?
    When I recently went to local gunshop to get .243 ammo, I wanted to buy a couple of different makes / weights etc to try. The chap said he didn't want to make any specific recomendations, or send me off with something unsuitable, so he needed to know the twist rate of my rifle in order to advise me re: ammo.
    So, I trotted off home, fetched rifle and went back to the shop, where it was checked out. (It's a 1 in 10, by the way. I know that now).

So, what difference does it make?

VSS.

A very good question. http://www.riflebarrels.com/products...wist_rates.htm sheds some light on this. Scroll right to the bottom for more info. It's really down to what you want to do with your rifle. When I had a Sako 75 in 243 another Forum member was most amused to see me send 105gr A-Max sideways through his target. I was using the 1:10 twist that the rifle came with. I later put a 1:8 twist barrel on the rifle and the 105gr A-Max shot very nicely after that.

There's lots of 243 ammo out there, buy a box of as many types as you can and try it out. That's what I did when I got my 243 Ackley.

Regards

​JCS

Thanks for the link, JCS.
    I was planning to do just as you said - buy a box of as many types as poss (over time - can't afford them all at once), and see what worked best. I was just wondering about why the chap in the shop was reluctant to let me do that without knowing what barrel I was putting them through?

tim a 1 in 10 barrel in 243 cal, aim for around 87 grain bullet weight, i reload 87 grain for my 1 in 10 243 and they are deadly accurate mate

Quote Originally Posted by 223 View Post
    tim a 1 in 10 barrel in 243 cal, aim for around 87 grain bullet weight, i reload 87 grain for my 1 in 10 243 and they are deadly accurate mate
    Thanks mate. I am currently working may way through a couple of boxes of 95 grain Hornaday. Before that I had some 55 grain Winchester Silvertips, but the 95 grainers seem to be much more stable in flight. I'll see what I can find in the way of 87 grain, and try that.
    I'm planning to learn about reloading, so all info is good!
    Now I just need to find something a bit more exciting than a cardboard box to shoot at. Even the foxes are keeping a low profile around here!

A longer bullet (hence heavier) will require more spin to stabilise it so require a higher twist rate. I'm looking at a high twist rate .223 so I can use 55gn bullets for Fox and also go upto 70grn bullets for the odd mess about on long range targets. A standard 1 in 12 twist will not stabilise the heavier bullets.

So, presumably 1 in 10 is higher than 1 in 12, so that would explain why I had better results with 95 grain than with 55 grain? Or have I got that all wrong?
    The chap in the gunshop seemed to be of the opinion that 1 in 10 was pretty versatile, and gave me quite a few ammo options.

Quote Originally Posted by 223 View Post
    Ditto on that. 95 grainers shoot an inch plus, 87 grainers cloverleaf.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

1:10 will stabilise a 100gn bullet, best ask all the old uns how they have managed with the 'wrong twist' for decades....