Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merkel Helix or Blaser

Merkel Helix or Blaser

What are folks opinion as a straight comparison to these rifles?

No body got an opinion on this?......

I have several Blasers and a doyen barrels. Very happy with them especially the way they shoot. Aesthetically the Helix doesn't do it for me and my Blaser does everything that I need.

I've never seen a Helix in the flesh so they might be pretty rare and it might be even less common to find someone who has owned both and can make a useful comparison for you.

Given that all I can say is that Blaser are very common and popular and have a great reputation as a stalking rifle, I have one and love it for all sorts of practical reasons, and so if you ever came to sell again the Blaser might be easier to shift than the Helix.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I've never seen a Helix in the flesh so they might be pretty rare and it might be even less common to find someone who has owned both and can make a useful comparison for you.
    You see hardly any Merkel shotguns or rifles in the UK. I don't know why not, they are splendid guns, they really deserve to do better!

The Blaser R93 would get my vote. Rifle choice is a very personal thing. I don't care for most of the new fangled designs like the Helix or the R8 although I havent tried them. The newer Steyr SBS models also dont float my boat. Yes the rifle is a tool but I like to feel something for it if that doesnt sound too strange. I second the quality of the shotguns, combination guns and drillings that Merkel have produced.

Hard to contribute without re igniting pro/anti views on xyz rifle model - and consequently answer the reasonable question asked!

Not owned either, but tested examples of all three - Helix, R93 and R8 in addition to range sessions and stalking outings with clients using the latter two.

If straight-pull floats your boat and barrel changeover is anything of an issue for you then I'd recommend at least trying the helix - it does various 'Blaser like' things in a slightly different way that I personally prefer - others will have different preferences. A quick search of various online reviews will highlight these.

​Do let us know how you get on.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

tikka... nuff said

I currently own 4 Merkel shotguns and drillings and have used some of them for many years. All are lovely firearms and beautifuly made, however I have also owned and used 5 R93/R8's and rate then very highly. They have many great features but one that I always find particularly useful to me where I hunt is the way the action seals against the elements. Yesterday I only just returned from western NSW hunting pigs with my Blaser. It is extremely dry out there at the moment and the dust is a real challange for firearms. It gets into everything, including me and the GSP. I just tape the muzzle and when I cleaned it this morning and put a patch through it, not dirt was on the patch after a week in the paddock.To me this is a useful advantage, however I realise this may not be important for others in their hunting enviroment. I again gave the R8 a big knock against a tree stump whilst pushing through some thick scrub. The Blaser professional stock is very tough and does not even appear to mark easily. I have also handled the RX Helix, it also handles great and the action is very slick. It is obvioulsy also well made. I doubt you would be dissappointed with any Merkel or Blaser. Personally I prefer Merkel guns and drillings and Blaser rifles. I hope this helps you a little.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3x64 View Post
    I currently own 4 Merkel shotguns and drillings and have used some of them for many years. All are lovely firearms and beautifuly made, however I have also owned and used 5 R93/R8's and rate then very highly. They have many great features but one that I always find particularly useful to me where I hunt is the way the action seals against the elements. Yesterday I only just returned from western NSW hunting pigs with my Blaser. It is extremely dry out there at the moment and the dust is a real challange for firearms. It gets into everything, including me and the GSP. I just tape the muzzle and when I cleaned it this morning and put a patch through it, not dirt was on the patch after a week in the paddock.To me this is a useful advantage, however I realise this may not be important for others in their hunting enviroment. I again gave the R8 a big knock against a tree stump whilst pushing through some thick scrub. The Blaser professional stock is very tough and does not even appear to mark easily. I have also handled the RX Helix, it also handles great and the action is very slick. It is obvioulsy also well made. I doubt you would be dissappointed with any Merkel or Blaser. Personally I prefer Merkel guns and drillings and Blaser rifles. I hope this helps you a little.

​What is "drillings"?