Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which scope??

which scope??

Hey folks,
    sorry for the multiple posts on the same subject, but help me out here....
    Wanted to keep my existing (6x42) scope and just go to a 1x as needed... Necessary mods are gonna be a bunch of bucks that I ain't crazy about spending. Thinking it may be cheaper and of course much less hassle to just get a scope in say 1-6 or so x 50(?) and have all in one scope for brush, close range and low light conditions.... Is this possible without spending the world? Not looking for 500 yd shots... If I would shoot 300 it would be rare and only cause I had a bad close hit on a close up shot and it stopped 300 yards away... Thinking 200 would be the absolute max with 50-100 the norm... Low light is important but not a show stopper if it has an illuminated crosshair. I've seen barska in 1.5 -? x 42 w/ 30mm tubes.... but don't know anything about them... I'm not above imported either... Just want something that will do the job... There is noone important waiting on me to kick off and leave them something and it won't be hanging on the wall.... suggestions appreciated... with links even more appreciated...
    Hidden lesson here for young folks.... No amount of cool points and/or saved time is worth your eyesight.... wear sunglasses and always use the correct eye protection for jobs you are doing (be it a torch, welder, or grinder, or???)

Thanks, Dave

If you consider a scope change, don't skimp on quality. Big difference between quality and bling...
    I could honestly advise looking at Kaps-Optik range of scopes. In your case possibly the 1.5-6x42, 2-8x42 or 2.5-10x50. I had the 2.5-10x50 and shot umpteen deer with it out to a bit over 200yds. For over 200yds I use different scopes as I don't trust my hold over guesses.
    edi

any chance you can give a link to an online source?

Thanks, Dave

Kaps are indeed good as are Docter. I'd also have a look at Minox scopes as I hear good things about them.

Would a compromise be a good 4x32 scope? wide field of view and can get a good one relatively inexpensively. For extensive talk on optics, try http://www.optictalk.com

ATB,

Scrummy

Quote Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
    Kaps are indeed good as are Docter. I'd also have a look at Minox scopes as I hear good things about them.

Would a compromise be a good 4x32 scope? wide field of view and can get a good one relatively inexpensively. For extensive talk on optics, try http://www.optictalk.com

ATB,

Scrummy
    I don't know... never used a scope in my life until this year.. (never hunted or shot a gun for 20+ years)... Just can't see the back sight on irons clear...

http://www.kaps-optik.de/english/

http://www.egun.de/market/list_items...t=63&x=12&y=14

Doctor is another option however my feeling is that Kaps is the mechanically stronger scope.
    edi

So....... Let's shift gears a little.... Just tell me what scope to buy (that you would buy if you wanted decent quality at a decent price)........... Dusk and dawn for a few minutes is the light transmission thing... Pushin 50 and eyes are going downhill anyway (need a scope cause I can't see the rear sight...).... Night time hunting will be usually in moonlight or with a light / NV combo so not a big thing (nice to have, but not a deal breaker)... Guy I work with is a hunter, gun gunsmith, and teaches the optics portion of the hunting license classes... he says the difference in a 40mm and 56 mm objective is about 15 minutes.. My 6x42mm does all I expect for low light just not short distance..
    My cheapest option is a doctor type or red dot that goes on an adapter on my rear mount. Are these things really only good for <50 meters?....
    Thanks.....

Once the exit pupil (objective size in mm divided by magnification) gets beyond 7 you will not really be gaining anything. If you are into middle age and later it is unlikely that you will be able to use the whole of a 7mm exit pupil anyway. Sorry but that is just the aging process. A 1 - 4 x 30 will do the job for you if you look for one secondhand by a good maker. However as has often been discussed you aren't really supposed to see the rear sight in sharp focus when you are shooting.

Hope this helps,

David.
    Last edited by Kalahari; 08-11-2013 at 15:13. Reason: can't spell/type

Thanks....... Going on a drive hunt in the morning with my fingernail polish modified iron sights.... If I'm Ok with them, I'll scrap the whole idea.....

What kind of groups are you getting with open sights? I assume you've rattled off a few at a moving paper target to see how your "modified open sights" setup is performing?

Cheers

K
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 08-11-2013 at 19:19.