Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to get rid of hares?

Where to get rid of hares?

Does anyone know of a game dealer in the Nottinghamshire area who buys hares?
    We have got a lot on our ground and they are starting to attract coursers so need to shoot a few but don't like doing it if they are going to go to waste.

I would be delighted to come and help you thin out the hare population. And what's more, I'll eat them too. I love hare, but have never shot one. I had a chance once in Scotland but missed it when it took off like a cheetah, and another on a driven shoot with a no ground game rule. Other than that, I don't shoot anywhere where they're present unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by KAW2810 View Post
    We have got a lot on our ground and they are starting to attract coursers so need to shoot a few but don't like doing it if they are going to go to waste.
    Thats the thing fella. Only way really, to stop the coursers is to shoot the hares. Like you say, it's a waste if nobody wants them. I'd be interested too, to find an outlet for hares.

I would've thought any game dealer would buy hares I e never known one not to , have a similar problem on my ground down south absolutely alive with hares and they do attract undesirables
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Dont shoot that many but when I have had to sell them got 5 each for them, would of thought most game dealers would take them should command preimium price if head shot.

Why don't you try local butcher if its in an upmarket area would have thought they would go like hot cakes.

D

Quote Originally Posted by KAW2810 View Post
    I've done the same in the past and it does solve the problem but it is a bloody shame to hammer them.It was in North Notts too BTW
    It may be worth contacting your local Wildlife Liason copper and get a conviction of two against the dogmen if you feel able.

Quote Originally Posted by perdix View Post
    I've done the same in the past and it does solve the problem but it is a bloody shame to hammer them.It was in North Notts too BTW
    It may be worth contacting your local Wildlife Liason copper and get a conviction of two against the dogmen if you feel able.
    Yes, I think that "starving out" the lurcher guys is a terrible way to have to deal with the problem. It's like shooting all the tigers to get rid of poachers, it's crazy. However letting a Pine Marten eat them is probably the way forward.

If you can trap them i will buy a dozen for the fields at the back off me the do as you limeys have moved the others onto the local estate

If im honest i don't even know of a game dealer in Notts.
    I was given this number for a guy called Tony whom is supposed to be a game dealer near Belvoir i think you can try him 07795664337

Apart from that i will have a word with a couple of guys on the shoot tomorrow and see if they know anyone for you.

​My permissions are crawling with hares but we don't seem to get any dog men down there and there is no real reason to shoot them at the minute

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Yes, I think that "starving out" the lurcher guys is a terrible way to have to deal with the problem. It's like shooting all the tigers to get rid of poachers, it's crazy. However letting a Pine Marten eat them is probably the way forward.
    You dont miss a trick pm I suppose if u don't ask u don't get though I thought he was only asking for a game dealer not someone to shoot em too !
    ​Norma