Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope choice for reloading

Scope choice for reloading

Hi,

i'm currently looking at starting to reload and as a first step i'm going to upgrade up scope (currently have 8x56) to something with more power and variable. Ive narrowed it down to a Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16 x 50mm or Meopta MeoPro 6-18x50. Both about the same money. Has any one got any experience of either , or both?

thanks

why?

reloading and scope choice are different things.

If you feel that your problem is that you can't get an exact aiming point because of, say, a thick cross hair on your scope then the simple solution is to change the target you use until you find one that does give you a precise aiming point. I use an S&B 8X56 and it covers nearly an inch at 100 yards but I simply use a target with a small orange square in the middle and a bit thick diamond about 4 inches square surrounding it. This allows me to maintain a precise aiming point and have a scope ideal for stalking.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    Perfect solution as said above!!!! don't waste money buying a new scope just for reloading purposes, just make a bigger target! I've been reloading for 18 years..... 8 power scope I the highest mag ive had!

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer boy View Post
    Hi,

i'm currently looking at starting to reload and as a first step i'm going to upgrade up scope (currently have 8x56) to something with more power and variable. Ive narrowed it down to a Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16 x 50mm or Meopta MeoPro 6-18x50. Both about the same money. Has any one got any experience of either , or both?

thanks
    That's a very good question. I made the move from 8 x 50 scopes when I started reloading to higher power variable scopes and wouldn't go back. I test loads at 25 x or 30 x depending on the light conditions at present. May try higher magnifications in the future. Certainly shot out to 640 yds the other afternoon on 40 x.

Good luck.

​JCS

my thinking is that i need complete confidence that i am aiming bang on (pardon the pun) when i start to reload. I'm just not sure i would have that confidence at x8 at 100m or 200m

The diamond shape in the centre of the target seems to work well. The x hairs go from corner to corner on the diamond and it doesn't really seem to matter how thick they are.

David.

I have used both scopes you mentioned and would go for the Bushnell every time. I have great vision but just couldn't get the eye relief right on the Meopta no matter what I tried, I use a Bushnell on my foxing rifle (222 rem) and find it comes up to the eye very easily.

I do think that higher mag and a fine ish reticle does make things easier when working up a load. If your happy with 8 mag for your everyday shooting you could always pick something up second hand and flog it on once you've worked up a load, this way it will probably only cost you a couple of but if you can afford to splash out on a new scope why not, you can always turn it down to 8 mag in the field.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer boy View Post
    my thinking is that i need complete confidence that i am aiming bang on (pardon the pun) when i start to reload. I'm just not sure i would have that confidence at x8 at 100m or 200m
    I have some higher mag (PMII) scopes on some of my rifles but most used for my stalking are 6x42. I reload and test ammo for all of them. I am currently testing ammo for an unmoderated 6.5x55 fitted with a S+B 6x42 at a distance of 250 meters. I have increased the size of a target I use at 100m 2.25 times(approx) so the sight picture and point of aim looks similar.

You will also find that your marksmanship will start to play more of a part as the distance increases as your mistakes will be magnified in proportion to the distance. It will be practice and the application of the marksmanship principles that give you results you can have confidence in rather than a high power scope. I actually think that for some it is better to use a lower mag scope as there is a temptation to over exert on your position and hold of the rifle to try and get an exact point of aim rather than relaxing and naturally finding the correct point of aim.