Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22hornet help required fast

.22hornet help required fast

just got a box of sierra .22cal .224 dia 40 gr blitzking 1440 and went to start reloading them for my hornet ive other hornet bullet heads in 40gr lying around and the heads are more short and stumpy however these blitzkings seem more slim lined and longer than the other heads ive used before the blitzkings are more like the heads i use for .223 , ive done 1 bullet head and i was looking for a col of 1.725 but the shortest i can get is 1.863 , im not sure whether this will be safe to fire through my rifle or not ? need help, are there different kinds of .22cal .224 heads i.e short stumpy ones for my hornet or long pointy ones for .223 again help required asap
    LIVE AND LET LIVE! THERES ALWAYS ANOTHER DAY!

Finding this difficult to compute.

SAAMI COL is 1.723" but you cannot get less than 1.863".

The bullet does not seem outlandish.

What powder are you using?
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Compare the length of your new round and an older proven one with a comparator, so ogive to base.
    If this is the same then you are safe, whether it fits in the magazine and feeds is another matter.
    I would think you have just picked an unsuitable bullet for the hornet, which comes from a time before long pointed high BC varmint bullets.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by robert1666 View Post
    just got a box of sierra .22cal .224 dia 40 gr blitzking 1440 and went to start reloading them for my hornet ive other hornet bullet heads in 40gr lying around and the heads are more short and stumpy however these blitzkings seem more slim lined and longer than the other heads ive used before the blitzkings are more like the heads i use for .223 , ive done 1 bullet head and i was looking for a col of 1.725 but the shortest i can get is 1.863 , im not sure whether this will be safe to fire through my rifle or not ? need help, are there different kinds of .22cal .224 heads i.e short stumpy ones for my hornet or long pointy ones for .223 again help required asap
    The 40 grain Blitz King are not a Hornet bullet unless you single load them. Using a CZ?~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    The 40 grain Blitz King are not a Hornet bullet unless you single load them. Using a CZ?~Muir
    i wil be single loading them and i am using an old bruno lol

hornet 6 i have compared it and thats what im saying i cant get the bullet to seat any lower than the 1.863 compared to 1.725
    they just fit in my magazin of my bruno and they do feed and fire however ive not tested on paper yet im going to do so today ,
    my question really is does this matter that i cant get the oal down to 1.725? and are there seperate heads for the hornet as the ones ive had before where round and stumpy?

Quote Originally Posted by robert1666 View Post
    hornet 6 i have compared it and thats what im saying i cant get the bullet to seat any lower than the 1.863 compared to 1.725
    they just fit in my magazin of my bruno and they do feed and fire however ive not tested on paper yet im going to do so today ,
    my question really is does this matter that i cant get the oal down to 1.725? and are there seperate heads for the hornet as the ones ive had before where round and stumpy?
    You can get it down to book length, it may well be compressed, and you will seat below the ogive, which is why I said check with a comparator to ogive.
    If you get the length to ogive the same as your old round it will be safe.
    While you may get the longer round in the CZ mag, and the top one or possibly two rounds may feed, the rest will bind up and fail to load smoothly at times so not worth it.

Neil.

They single hole group through my cz 527 hornet i love them. I have adapted a spare mag to accept these longer rounds.

right lads i managed to feed and load the 40grain blitz kings today , and i would say the charge is pretty much compressed as its full to the brim when i load 13 gr of little gun into it would this stop the round going off once the primer is hit by the pin? as 1 in every 6 rounds i fire is not going off and you can see clearly that the primer has been struck im using cci small rifle primers , never had this problem before any ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    You can get it down to book length, it may well be compressed, and you will seat below the ogive, which is why I said check with a comparator to ogive.
    If you get the length to ogive the same as your old round it will be safe.
    While you may get the longer round in the CZ mag, and the top one or possibly two rounds may feed, the rest will bind up and fail to load smoothly at times so not worth it.

Neil.

my die wont seat the bullet any deeper into the case ?

It sounds as if your load is seriously compressed .. I have around five
    different bullets in .224, all the same weight but different lengths, Vmax and
    Nosler being significantly longer than Sierra for example.

I'm currently sitting on a brick of Remington 7.5 magnum primers if you want
    to try some . . They will give a better ignition if your planning on using a
    compressed load... But will also increase pressure.

Starting from scratch and working up a new load with a better suited
    bullet is prob the way forward.
    Last edited by Cadex; 10-11-2013 at 10:10. Reason: further info