Thread: .223 remmington neck dent

.223 remmington neck dent

I've just put a box of remmington psp .223 through my tikka. On looking at the emptys the case mouth is out of shape with a small scratch on the necks. I assume this is happening on ejecting the case. Anybody got any ideas about this?

yep its where the case is catching on the action when ejected. Loads of rifles do this. Nowt to worry about

I thought as much but wasn't sure. Will they still be ok to reload with?

I had this when I first bought my .223.

I found what was causing the scratch by slowly extracting the case and seeing where the scratch appeared.
    I found it was a rough bit of the action and I was able to polish it out.

As the scratch was nothing more than a surface mark I wasn't worried and have used the same cases many times since.

If the case mouth is deformed, dependin on how bad it is, just expand it slowly and carefully.
    Inspect it and if the brass looks bruised, use your judgement and either bin it or re-anneal it if/as required.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
    I've just put a box of remmington psp .223 through my tikka. On looking at the emptys the case mouth is out of shape with a small scratch on the necks. I assume this is happening on ejecting the case. Anybody got any ideas about this?
    The feed ramp of the chamber is quite acute as it's a standard- scale action. I've noticed that the M595 action (same as T3) in .223 sometimes stubs and deforms the tips of sharply pointed lead SP bullets.

The scratch is probably inflicted on chambering the round, but the dent can only be happening during extraction. It's easily sorted in the FLR die on reloading.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

At one time it was possible to time the ejection but I doubt this is possible with modern push feed rifles.

Thanks for the info fellas . Much appreciated:.)