Battle of El Alamein

UTGrad

Is it true that there were bagpippers playing as the British marched on the German positions in North Africa?

The Highland Division advanced along a line a mile and a half wide, the men spaced five metres apart to make it more difficult for the enemy machine gunners to locate them, a separation that could make a man feel all alone in the smoke, dust and cacophony of the battlefield. To stiffen their resolve, Wimberly sent them off with the exhortation, “Scotland for ever and second to none”, and to each company, he attached a kilted piper, the skirl of the bagpipes piercing the noise of the bombardment and providing an emotional tie between the men and their homeland.Amongst the regiments of the Highland Division was a battalion of the Black Watch, a proud regiment, raised shortly after the Jacobite rebellion to “watch” the Highlands, “black” because of their dark green tartan. As one of their companies approached a machine gun post, the merciless fire hit their piper, Duncan MacIntyre, but he carried on playing and broke into the regimental march, “Highland Laddie”. As the assault continued, Duncan was hit again, this time fatally, but he carried on playing until his breath gave out. The following morning he was found with his pipes still under his arm, his fingers on the chanter. He was 28 years old.
Taken from wilderness-ventures-egypt.com

The Highland Division advanced along a line a mile and a half wide, the men spaced five metres apart to make it more difficult for the enemy machine gunners to locate them, a separation that could make a man feel all alone in the smoke, dust and cacophony of the battlefield. To stiffen their resolve, Wimberly sent them off with the exhortation, “Scotland for ever and second to none”, and to each company, he attached a kilted piper, the skirl of the bagpipes piercing the noise of the bombardment and providing an emotional tie between the men and their homeland.Amongst the regiments of the Highland Division was a battalion of the Black Watch, a proud regiment, raised shortly after the Jacobite rebellion to “watch” the Highlands, “black” because of their dark green tartan. As one of their companies approached a machine gun post, the merciless fire hit their piper, Duncan MacIntyre, but he carried on playing and broke into the regimental march, “Highland Laddie”. As the assault continued, Duncan was hit again, this time fatally, but he carried on playing until his breath gave out. The following morning he was found with his pipes still under his arm, his fingers on the chanter. He was 28 years old.
Taken from wilderness-ventures-egypt.com

As a Scottish descent American (last name Walker) this is totally bad ass. I was just watching this on Military Channel and thought it was very powerful. I got chills....long live Montgomery!

As a Scottish descent American (last name Walker) this is totally bad ass. I was just watching this on Military Channel and thought it was very powerful. I got chills....long live Montgomery!

​My Grandfather was Black Watch.Makes me very proud of ALL those that gave it all in conflicts through the ages

Most of us Southern Americans are of Scottish, English and some Irish descent. Note my avatar. This was the flag of the short lived Confederate States of America that seceded from the USA 1861-1865. The cross in the flag represented our common ancestory with the British Isles. Down South we own guns and believe in God and we are respectful...just how it should be.

Hi UTGrad.
I seem to recall that a Piper Played going up the Beach at Normandy. A quick search names the Fellow as Bill Millin. Hats off to them paticulary at this time of year.

We wear Red Poppies at this time of Year to show Respect for and to remember those lost in Battle.

Yorkie.

Excellent. A bit of history. Love it.

Yes, there's also a Lt. Col. Jack Churchill, a Commando officer who always carried a Scottish broadsword and a longbow into battle in WW2 as well as bagpipes. He initiated an attack on a German position near Salerno, Italy in 1943 by shooting the German sergeant with his longbow. The last time one was used in anger in war! He played the bagpipes walking up the beach at the Allied landings at Catania and Salerno.

In 1941, in a raid on a German garrison at Vagsoy, Norway, the front went down on the landing craft and he leapt forward playing "March of the Cameron Men" on his bagpipes before giving a nod to modern weapons and leapt into the affray by throwing a grenade.

You couldn't make it up!

I wear red poppies and blue poppies year round. The red for those who served and the blue for those who were wunded in combat. These are the ones whom, far too many, are forgotten and have to live with .

I was in Desert Shield and Desert Strom (1990 - 1991) and I am sure there were a lot os Scots who came home with unseen illnesses due to the the crap we were given to "prevent" deseases.

As one, I respect ALL who did, and are serving, for what ever their reason for ding so.

Last edited:
I am proud to say that I served in the 1st Battalion the Black Watch (The Royal Highland Regiment) for 26 Years and 211 days. From April 78 until October 2004. This was the best time of my life and I truly do regret resigning or I still could have had one more year to serve to have completed my 32 years.

I am proud to say that I served in the 1st Battalion the Black Watch (The Royal Highland Regiment) for 26 Years and 211 days. From April 78 until October 2004. This was the best time of my life and I truly do regret resigning or I still could have had one more year to serve to have completed my 32 years.

:tiphat:

And I bet when his mates caught up with the machine gunner they didn't get done for bloomin murder when they shot the b4st4rd!

Spot on Tony

All them pussies quoting the convention.

Shoe on the other foot our Royal would have had his balls cut off, dragged naked through the street to be hung or have his head cut off with a blunt knife..

He was away fighting for his country on foreign soil unable to support or protect his own family..

Makes my **** boil whats being put forward by the media

:tiphat::tiphat::british:
Thank you for your service sir .

Back