Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airgun ban for Scotland

Airgun ban for Scotland

A ban for airguns in Scotland coming soon...Shame really I started with an Airgun as a kid shooting rabbits,and bought my son a airgun 3 years ago to train him and teach him the safe use and handling of guns, which it has,before moving onto .22

I doubt that the scrotes who shot at fire crews etc will be overly bothered by the fact they will be banned.

wheres it going to stop.

Orionsarms

Established Poster
    North Lanarkshire, the land that Summer forgot.
    Is this a blanket ban on all airguns? I thought originally it was going to be a ban on ownership if you couldn't prove just cause in owning one.

It will be very hard to ban airguns.

First you have to prepare for a compensation scheme to pay for guns that poeple legally own that they would have to 'hand in'

Next you have to scpecifically draft legistlation that appropriately fits the intended requirements of the legal change. What will happen if a farmer has an airgun to shoot pigeons or rats on his property. Will he need a variation to have it on his FAC or will there be a different permit scheme?

Lastly they have to beat the organistation that will fight the change.

Quote Originally Posted by roe steak
    It will be very hard to ban airguns.

Lastly they have to beat the organistation that will fight the change.
    Hi roe steak..

I cant think of a single organisation thats any better these days than those that represented many of us that owned hand guns...

only a matter of time

Terry

Can't wait to see the cock up that the pen pushers will make of this! Every car boot sale i've ever been to has had a couple of 5 air rifles, wish I'd bought them all now. If the Scottish Parliment ban air weapons then they will have to pay compensation, now, as they weren't licenced in the first place, there is no record of who has what. I can see a lot of air rifles making the trip North! JC

Established Poster
    North Lanarkshire, the land that Summer forgot.
    From reading todays paper, it appears Westminster have provisionally agreed to hand over the legislation on Airguns to Holyrood however this will not take place until after the next general election. The Scottish Executive want a blanket ban on all Airguns, with no exceptions. Not quite sure how this is meant to prevent illegal use as once again only "law abiding" owners will be handing them in.

PS1 I know exactly what you're thinking as I really miss my s&w 686 but there's lots of extra issues that come into play with the legitimate use of them.

Lets be honest though. You could be right.

Well, after the handgun ban, figures for handguns used in crime have gone off the radar have'nt they?

When that one came into force one our local police inspectors was banging on about the need to 'get all these weapons out of circulation'.

When I quizzed him on what he thought it would all achieve, it was crystal clear that he was totally unable to differentiate between legally held handguns and those used in crime. A knee-jerk reaction from the legislature was all that people like him needed to get the ball rolling on their misguided mission against legitimate shooting sports.

Air gun ban

A few lines from a Scottish Folk Song by I believe the late Matt Magin,
    "North Sea Gas" have added THE FOUND JOB.

I'M LOOKING FOR A JOB WITH A SKY HIGH PAY
    A THREE DAY WEEK AND A TWO HOUR DAY

----------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------
    I'VE FOUND THE JOB WITH A SKY HIGH PAY
    A THREE DAY WEEK AND A TWO HOUR DAY
    I CANT BELIEVE MY LUCK I'VE NEVER HAD IT SO GOOD
    FOR I'M A POLITICIAN UP IN HOLLYROOD.

If you overpay a bunch of second raters to sit around all day they will eventually come up with some ill considered ideas which they think are correct. It is a tragedy that that child was killed by a drug addict weilding an air rifle, there is indeed a case for some control to remove air weapons from the hands of the yob element. But a total ban on a tool used in legitimate circumstances to teach gun safety, control vermin in urban and indoor situations and provide a highly disciplined sport in target shooting, is totally unjustified.

Blackpowder