Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: british made bullets

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north

british made bullets

It's just occurred to me that all our bullets are shipped in from abroad and therefore subject to all the export and tax malarkey that hike the prices up.
    Now why is there not a company in Britain making our bullets?..... we have the technology and the materials so WHY NOT??? We are as knowledgeable as our American and European cousins it things ballistic and killy, and i'm certain we would have a good market for them.

It seems crazy that we can have complete rifles made here in the uk yet have to rely on johnny foreigner to make them useable.

views please...

Well Said,anyone know where i can buy the machine..?

Quote Originally Posted by monarman View Post
    It's just occurred to me that all our bullets are shipped in from abroad and therefore subject to all the export and tax malarkey that hike the prices up.
    Now why is there not a company in Britain making our bullets?..... we have the technology and the materials so WHY NOT??? We are as knowledgeable as our American and European cousins it things ballistic and killy, and i'm certain we would have a good market for them.

It seems crazy that we can have complete rifles made here in the uk yet have to rely on johnny foreigner to make them useable.

views please...
    But we don't. The U.K. market is absolutely piddling.

The total U.K. market is less than is sold in some of the medium size gun shops in the U.S. never mind the bigger ones. Also the investment would be enormous if you tried to make more than just a few calibres in a few different styles.

If you feel that strongly about it set up for yourself using swaging equipment that can be readily sourced from the U.S. A few guys have already done this but I warn you that even on a small scale the cost can be prohibitive.
    Last edited by 8x57; 09-11-2013 at 20:19.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Actually there are several small bullet makers here I believe and there are also some swaging equipment makers here in the UK. Of course we used to have the factories too but the government saw to their closing.

Quote Originally Posted by CRIMSONBULLSEYE View Post
    Well Said,anyone know where i can buy the machine..?
    You'd need a fortune to buy the presses and dies and then you'd have to get the jackets from somewhere or that's another load of dosh

I'm imagining the Health & Safety Product Risk Assessment:

Elfin "So, British Bullets Ltd., you want to manufacture what?"

BB Ltd. "Things called "bullets - hence the name".

Elfin "And these "bullets" - how do they work?"

BB Ltd "You place them in a "firearm", that you then aim at a selected target, quarry animal or enemy soldier, at which you squeeze the trigger of the "firearm" with the intention of perforating that at which you are aiming."

Elfin "And how does this affect the "Target, quarry animal or enemy soldier"?"

BB Ltd "Well, the perforation either achieves a score on a target, or in the case of the quarry animal or enemy soldier, wounds or kills them."

Elfin "I am closing you down and referring your case to the RSPB for psychological reports".

BB Ltd "Oh f66k off".
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

There is a company formerly ROF Radway Green now BAE systems who in 2008 shut down and demoilshed 5 of its ammo production sheds, they then get awarded a 2 billion government contract to suply small arms ammo but could not meet production demands so they build new sheds with the most up to date ammunition manufacturing equipment installed.
    However when this contract is fullfilled, most of it will be shut down and mothballed, BAE being a private company could easily go into the global commercial ammunition manufacture.

Ian.

We have a company in Chester that makes lead bullets for the military, they cast the bullets in .22 and .30 and then they are sent off to be jacketed.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Are G&C still in business? Their 68 grain 6mm bullet was very accurate in the rifles I tried it in.

I looked into buying a hydraulic press from Corbin several years ago and some dies in 7mm and 6.5 mm from Neimh

The cost of the dies in 2006 was $5000 per set,,,thats for one bullet of a set weight

Too heavy an investment, for the small uk market..